Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung M283X
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Shows a distinct lack of awarness and care in setting up the download which became available in January 2018 over a year ago. I attempted to download a firmware upgrade for my printer which runs on a Macintosh computer. HP describes the download as follows, "Samsung SL-M283x Series Firmware - V3.00.01.13_9001012.0.00 7.8 MB Jan 25, 2018 - Type: FirmwareVersion: V3.00.01.13_9001012.0.00 - Operating systems: Mac OS X 10.1 - Release date: Jan 25, 2018 - File name: M2835_V3.00.01.13_9001012.zip (7.8 MB) - Description: This firmware upgrade fixes a WiFi security issue for the SL-M2830, SL-M2835 Series printers. - Fix and enhancements: This firmware upgrade addresses a WiFi security issue." 

The download includes the following files for a windows machine.

M2835_V3.00.01.13_ 9001012.hd
SWUPGRADE_ON.prn
M283x_Release Note_English.pdf
usblist2.exe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

from reviewing its user guide, I can see the default IP Address for WiFi Direct is 192.168.3.1

If you experience difficulties, I suggest temporary connect the printer with a network (ethernet) cable and perform the update.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is intended for both Windows or Mac, see the attached M283x_Release Note_English.pdf:

A USB cable update is only available for PCs, Updating from the network can be done from Mac OS as well.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt reply and thanks for resetting my expectations tht USB was not for both Mac and Wndows but only for Windows. I am  still having trouble,  you wrote, "It is intended for both Windows or Mac, see the attached M283x_Release Note_English.pdf:" The pdf says: the alternative is 'Updating from the Network'. I assume the instructions intended me to look for that address on a local wi-fi network. However, this is not a good solution if no local wifi network is available. I did set up the printer as DIRECT-KQPrinter and then attempted to attach to it using the IP address presented 10.0.1.145 to no avail. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

from reviewing its user guide, I can see the default IP Address for WiFi Direct is 192.168.3.1

If you experience difficulties, I suggest temporary connect the printer with a network (ethernet) cable and perform the update.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

The 'support' from HP for Mac users doesn't seem as friendly as it does for Wondoze users. 

Thanks for helping me out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.