Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Rebadged Samsung printers/MFPs
Chrome OS

This post concerns several rebadged Samsung printers which are currently being sold under the "HP Color Laser" range name. I have been able to identify such rebadging through SPL (Samsung Printer Language) support being listed  in the specifications.

My concern is that most Chromebook owners are told (e.g. by experts in the Chromebook Help Forum) that the most Chromebook-compatible printers/MFPs are HP and Epson (in that order). However the following analysis of the HP Color Laser MFP 179fnw suggests that any Chromebook owner purchasing such a rebadged model without checking the full facts for themselves could soon end up extremely unhappy:

1. Google Cloud Print (GCP) will no longer be supported by Google after December 31, 2020.
  2. No HP ePrint support currently exists.
  3. No HP Print for Chrome support currently exists.
  4. No Chrome OS native printing (AKA CUPS) support currently exists.

Does anyone know whether HP are collaborating with Google over the CUPS system or working on HP Print for Chrome to ensure that the current list of SPL-only rebadged printers, i.e.

• HP Color Laser 150nw
  • HP Color Laser 178nw
  • HP Color Laser MFP 179fnw

will still be usable by Chrome device owners after 2020? If that is not the case, wouldn't some kind of warning be advisable to avoid upsetting Chromebook owners who are unaware of the situation?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This “reply" merely represents a highly relevant extension to my original post.
I can find absolutely no mention of IPP Everywhere support in HP product Support Specifications and User Guides for the three HP Color Laser printers that I mentioned in my previous post. I find it quite a surprise however that there is absolutely no mention of IPP Everywhere support in HP product support Specifications and User Guides for any of the HP printers listed in the IPP Everywhere self-certification database (e.g. the HP OfficeJet 8702).

In the light of this rather important information shortfall, how can one decide whether any printers sold under the HP brand name but not listed in the IPP Everywhere self-certification database (such as the three HP Color Laser printers that I mentioned in my original post) support IPP Everywhere or not?

FWIW I quote, "98% of all printers sold today support IPP/2.0 and Bonjour." so how do you reconcile this statement if there is no  Chrome OS CUPS support for the HP Color Laser 150nw, the HP Color Laser 178nw and the HP Color Laser MFP 179fnw? Unfortunately there appears to be no way for any prospective buyer of any one of these three printer models to check for IPP Everywhere support before purchase. 

HP Recommended

This issue affects a much larger number of rebadged Samsung printers than I previously thought.

I recently discovered that all 21 of the printers/MFPs currently listed in just the "HP Laser printers" section of HP's Mobile Printing support database (see the following link: Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers) are rebadged Samsung printers.  Two of the printers in the list, i.e. the HP Laser 107a and the HP Laser 107r are USB-only and therefore my comments about current Google Cloud Print support in my first post are inappropriate for those two printers. I have examined the HP Support Specifications and User Guides for all of the printers in the list and the only supported print langauge is SPL. There is no mention of IPP Everywhere support in any of the documentation examined. A Google Doc record of my investigation is available  here.

HP Recommended

To enable others in the HP Printer forum to find this post if they search for one of the models relevant to this thread, I include below the currently listed printers in the "HP Laser printers" section of the HP Support  "Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers" database:

HP Color Laser 150nw

HP Color Laser MFP 178nw
HP Color Laser MFP 178nwg
HP Color Laser MFP 179fnw
HP Color Laser MFP 179fwg
HP Laser 107a
HP Laser 107r
HP Laser 107w
HP Laser 108w
HP Laser MFP 135a
HP Laser MFP 135ag
HP Laser MFP 135r
HP Laser MFP 135fnw
HP Laser MFP 135w
HP Laser MFP 135wg
HP Laser MFP 136nw
HP Laser MFP 136w
HP Laser MFP 137fnw
HP Laser MFP 137fwg
HP Laser MFP 138fnw
HP Laser MFP 138pnw
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.