Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP M479dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I have setup my M479dw on wifi and it's working perfectly as a printer. I also have HP Smart setup on my PC. The problem is when I try to scan at the device by using the on-screen menu, it will not give me the option of scanning from the document feeder. It automatically defaults to the flatbed, even when the device KNOWS there's a document loaded in the feeder.

I've looked for how to change default settings but can't find it either in the device or on HP Smart. That search alerted me to another issue: when I go into settings\scan in HP Smart, I click on 'scan to computer' and it has an option for 'Webscan' but when I click on that it says "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact the person who set up the printer." I don't recall ever disabling anything there, and the scanner will (as mentioned above) scan to computer fine if it's just from the flatbed (not the document feeder).

Anyone got any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Nick_T_AU 

From the following Guide, I believe you have to scan from printer itself when using ADF, not from computer

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06270649

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your response. I apologise if I wasn't clear.

I am trying to scan from the printer, using the on-screen menu. The device detects a document in the document feeder (notification: "Document Detected") but when I press "scan" it only scans the flatbed.

HP Recommended

@Nick_T_AU 

Please try newer Firmware (dated Jan 8, 2021) from the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m478-m479-series/19202514...

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but this has not been successful. 

On the MFC I load the document, receive notification saying "document loaded" in the feeder, then I press "scan to computer" and it just scans the flatbed. Does not scan from the feeder.

When I initiate the scan from HP Smart, I can choose the document feeder as the source, and it works fine.

But I want to be able to scan from the feeder when I am AT the device. It should be possible.

I have also tried going into settings\advanced settings and then "scan" but under "scan to computer" all it shows is "webscan" and even that is apparently unavailable. 

See screenshot.

I am not sure which issue the firmware update was supposed to resolve.Screenshot 2021-03-10 122111.png

HP Recommended

@Nick_T_AU 

Please download and install the following software and try from Computer. Hope it can work this way

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, for Windows 10:

(a) Hit Win key,
    (b) Scroll down to HP group/folder,
    (c) Double click "HP Scan Extended"

You can put a shortcut on Taskbar or Desktop

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I can already do this through HP Scan. 

Your suggestion doesn't actually solve my problem of not being able to scan from the document feeder when initiated from the printer, rather than initiated by the PC. 

HP Recommended

@Nick_T_AU 

Is it a new printer which is still under warranty ? Please contact HP Australia to get help. They are very helpful. Last year I called them due to the screen of my machine was flickering and one staff came to my house to fix (actually replace) it within 3 days. My house is around 30km from City of Melbourne.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

OK thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.