Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Edit: I've whittled the question down to that in my second reply to this post. Please start there.

When I open the Print and Scan Doctor app the product screen shows three images of the single device: HP787C5A (HP LaserJet Pro M428f-M429f).

1. Are the three images due to three functions (print, scan & fax) available?

2. Two of the images show the full name HP787C5A (HP LaserJet Pro M428f-M429f), one shows HP LaserJet Pro M428f (NET). The full name images show its IPv6 address, the other its IPv4 address. Why the difference?

3. When trying to troubleshoot the failing of Scan to computer, how does one tell which image to choose in Print and Scan Doctor?

4. At the printer, when choosing Scan to computer, there may be two options for the same computer. One with just the computer name, the other with Scan to computer name. Why is this? Should one be removed, and if so, how?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The resolution, found after several iterations of removing and installing printers, etc. A lot of my difficulty of my own making, so I'll exclude the those roads I went down.

Assumption: that after installing the printer using HP EasyStart, there is a single printer named HP787C5A (HP LaserJet Pro M428f-M429f) in Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners. In the control panel (@Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers) the same is true.

At the printer, using the menu Scan > Scan to computer, there will be two entries for each computer where the printer is installed. For a computer named "MyComputer" the menu options will be "MYCOMPUTER" and "Scan to MyComputer". The option MYCOMPUTER will scan a document either from the feeder or the flatbed and save it as Scan_xxxx.PDF, where x is a digit.

The "Scan to computer" menu option is much more problematic. It appears that the default is for that option to time out. There are at least two options here. One, it may be that at the computer you will see a window related to WSD device options. The best route is to set Scan to always use Windows Fax and Scan Application. In that application, select Tools, Scan Settings. You should see four entries for the printer just installed. For best results, set a default for each printer, paying particular attention to the Source option. If the source is set to feeder and the document is on the flatbed no scanning will occur.

Another way to access WSD options is to use the Device Manager.If you select the printer under Printers, you can access Scan Properties (if you have administrator privileges at the computer).

End of saga. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Discovered that the Print and Scan Doctor had the wrong IPv4 address product ending in (NET). I set that address as reserved at the DHCP server so at least that item can now be found. I still don't know what to expect with the two IPv6 addresses.

HP Recommended

What I can't get a handle on is the difference between menu selections at the printer. There are three computers in the home network and each has the printer port assigned to a standard TCP/IP port. At the printer one has its scan option as the name all in capital letters (GEOLAPTOP). The other two menu items are Scan to {computer name, not necessarily all caps.) The all caps menu item, when selected, returns with the prompt Send. The other two present the prompt Start. These two seem to time out, but actually present windows at their respective computers. How do I get these two to behave as the all caps computer?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

The resolution, found after several iterations of removing and installing printers, etc. A lot of my difficulty of my own making, so I'll exclude the those roads I went down.

Assumption: that after installing the printer using HP EasyStart, there is a single printer named HP787C5A (HP LaserJet Pro M428f-M429f) in Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners. In the control panel (@Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers) the same is true.

At the printer, using the menu Scan > Scan to computer, there will be two entries for each computer where the printer is installed. For a computer named "MyComputer" the menu options will be "MYCOMPUTER" and "Scan to MyComputer". The option MYCOMPUTER will scan a document either from the feeder or the flatbed and save it as Scan_xxxx.PDF, where x is a digit.

The "Scan to computer" menu option is much more problematic. It appears that the default is for that option to time out. There are at least two options here. One, it may be that at the computer you will see a window related to WSD device options. The best route is to set Scan to always use Windows Fax and Scan Application. In that application, select Tools, Scan Settings. You should see four entries for the printer just installed. For best results, set a default for each printer, paying particular attention to the Source option. If the source is set to feeder and the document is on the flatbed no scanning will occur.

Another way to access WSD options is to use the Device Manager.If you select the printer under Printers, you can access Scan Properties (if you have administrator privileges at the computer).

End of saga. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.