Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I double click on the printer icon on my desktop it asks me to install a new printer, I try to install the wireless printer and it requires me to put in the IP address, then it says it was successful but it goes through the same process everytime i double click on the printer icon. It used to work. Printing works OK. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer software but it did not help. The 8620 Fax Device had been deleted prior to this problem starting. I do not think the printer software is getting fully uninstalled. How can I fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tpayres

This seems to be an issue with the Windows and the latest updates

You can try the Scan and Capture App or HP Smart App for Scanning

Please refer to the Links below

HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

HP Scan And Capture: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675206

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@tpayres

Welcome to HP Support Community

Please uninstall the printer driver from Root Level and download the Full Feature Software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

No joy! I followed the steps and downloaded the "Full Feature Software" but the result was "Unsuccesful Network Installation". I then ran Scan and Print Doctor 5.1 which said that the Printer needed updated software, so I had it download that to no avail. At this point the printer is not installed on my computer. I know that I can add the printer succesfully via the Windows Settings>Devices>Printers & Scanners>Add a Printer or Scanner in Windows 10. FYI I can still print from my phone using ePrint. One last bit of information, When I removed the HP 8620 driver it asked if I wanted to remove the Driver only or the Driver & Driver Package. I choose the driver only. Also when I look at the program list it says HP 8620 Basic Software was installed, even though I downloaded the Fill Feature Software. Thanks for your assistance, I look forward to getting this problem fixed.

HP Recommended

@tpayres

Please uninstall the drivers from root level again and ensure you uninstall both the Driver & Driver Package, restart the computer and then download the Full Feature Software

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Failed again. I also tried after disabling my firewal, still failed. I also reset the printer to Factory Defaults and unpluged the printer and reconnected it after 3 min. - no change. I also reset the Network and reconnected the printer to the network, no change. The file that I am using to install the Full Feature software is OJ8620_198.exe. It still says it is installing Basic software. I even uninstalled the HPepring software and related driver and driver package.

HOWEVER I then installed the printer on my HP Pavilion TS 14 Notebook using the CD that came with the printer and it installed with no problem. This was a 1st time installation on the TS 14. I had oriigionally tried to reinstall the 8620 on this Laptop - HP Pavilion Notebook, using the CD and it had failed in the same manner as the downloaded file. The only differance between the two Notebooks is that the problem Notebook does not have the most recent Windows Updates downloaded onto it. I believe that these updates are having some effect on this process. Here are printscreens of the updates that were downloaded just prior to the problem with the scanner started, I hope you can read them. By the way, this all started when Microsoft Edge started showing the 8620 Fax at the default printer and I could not get it to show the 8620 Printer, so I deleted the 8620 Fax in the Devices listing, since I never use it, to fix the problem. I think that was after the Updates but I am not sure.

Downloads 1.pngDownloads 2.png

HP Recommended

@tpayres

This seems to be an issue with the Windows and the latest updates

You can try the Scan and Capture App or HP Smart App for Scanning

Please refer to the Links below

HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

HP Scan And Capture: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675206

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, both the HP Smart App for Scanning and the HP Scan and Capture App work, but as you know they do not work as simply and easily as the Printer Assistant. So I am going to mark this as Problem Solved but I hope HP finds a true solution to whatever the Windows Update did to cause this problem and create a fix in a future update. If that happens I would appreciate you letting me know.

Tom

HP Recommended

@tpayres

I'm glad to know you are able to scan using those Apps

Once HP or Microsoft releases a patch to fix this issue, it will be through the HP update or a Windows update

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Will you ever get the HP 8620 software up and working again (i.e. Solution Centre where you can scan, print, and fax)

HP Recommended

Will this ever be sorted ???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.