Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8720 All in One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As of 29DEC2019, my iOS Win 10 64 bit is updated.  All my HP Software is updated. I have already used Print/Scan Doctor (latest version) but problem is not fixed.  Whenever I scan anything, I build up a queue of scanned documents (showing on the left hand side as images waiting to be saved).  The scanner will crash (the computer will no longer recognize that the HP scanner is attached) and I lose ALL the images scanned.  To prevent this, I'm having to save scans made in batches of two or three which is taking a lot more time then if I could complete all the items I'd like to scan all at once.  My computer scan icon always says scanner is not available but I can activate the scanner using the HP Smart app on my PC.  NOTE: I've already uninstalled and reinstalled HP software three times to fix this issue.  Note that I am using the printer in wireless format and have dedicated a port for it (which fixed a recurrent issue wherein the computer would cease to recognize that the printer was connected for a period of time).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@taarna

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@taarna

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sure, do keep us posted 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Could not find a button called “Kudos” but I gave a thumbs up.  Hope that helps but if there’s anything else I need to do for such, please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hello Betty:  Well I did try what was discussed.  If I use HP Smart and multi task while scanning, eventually, the program fails to recognize the printer and has to reconnect to it thereby losing EVERYTHING in the Fax queue.  Note that I'm using a rather new high-end HP gaming computer so it's not like the hardware is old.  My home network works perfectly and although my computer (the one on which I do the scan work) goes back and forth on VPN, that has not seemed to affect the printer itself from being recognized.  The printer just seems to drop off periodically and I have to wait for the system to find it again.  If I'm scanning something, this means all is lost in the process.  At this point, should I give up on wireless and just go with a cable connection?

HP Recommended

Try one of these methods for scanning: 

• HP Smart app (Windows 10): Search the Microsoft Store for HP Smart to find and install this app. For more information, go to Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10).

• HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).

• Windows Scan app (Windows 10, 😎: Search the Microsoft Store for windows scan to find and install this app.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again Betty0610: I'm currently using the HP Smart App.  Thought I'd mentioned that before.  This is failing when I'm doing the scans.  It's like the app loses track of the printer  . . . and all my scans in the queue go along with it into nothingness.  What I'd asked previously is . . . should I run the printer delete series you showed me before and this time, do a full feature print driver install instead as a way of fixing this.  Would that work?

HP Recommended

Sure, you can try that 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty0610:

Well, I followed your previous instructions to delete the printer and this time, I reinstalled the software but this time, without the HP Smart App (previously, I only installed the HP Smart app IAW the automated install process).  The computer still does not recognize the scanner (at least it did occasionally with the HP Smart App).  I cannot even get device specifications in the HP Support Assistant.  I tried printing a test page from the Properties section of the printer and the attempt was initially read as an error before I got it to print by going into the queue and restarting it.  The Print and Scan doctor recognizes the printer and attempts to diagnose an issue but ultimately either finds nothing or throws an error.  I tried assigning the printer a static IP on my network but this has not helped.  The printer constantly goes to sleep after about 10 minutes or so requiring that I tap the screen to 'wake it up.'  It will NOT wake up with a print command.  For all that, I can get it print (sporadically) and the scan problem remains the same.  Any other options I can try?  Note that I am using this printer with an HP OMEN PC880 Desktop which is by no means, an antiquated system.  Please let me know.

HP Recommended

@taarna

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Also, have you tried scanning using the Windows Scan application? 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.