Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I use a USB drive to capture a scan the 8740 tells me it does not recognize the file format. My Win 10 PC does. So I turn off the printer (sometimes I pull the plug since it could take 10 minutes to shut down) and then when I insert the USB drive. It is then recognized. 

The drive was not in any PC or other device in between. I would use the 'scan to network' feature, but that doesn't work for me. Well, maybe one time out of every 10 attempts.

I like the printer, but I am growing weary of the sac issues.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

The USB needs to be formated to FAT32.

This example will show you how it's done and Scan to USB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sUhBYNeVA

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

The drive is FAT 32 according to 'Properties'.

HP Recommended

I placed a previously unused, newly formatted (Fat 32) drive into the printer and the response was 'formatted by a file system that is not supported'. After a 'hard' reboot, the printer recognized the drive. I do hard reboots since it sometimes take 5-10 minutes for the printer turn turn off using the power button.

This is a printer issue, not a USB issue.

What can be done to correct this problem? When I try to set up scan to network folder, the system keeps telling me their is a passwords failure which is impossible since I am the one who entered it and I can see that both are EXACTLY the same.

Do I need a software upgrade or do I need to stop using this expensive printer and buy another brand. Please reply.

HP Recommended

I opened credential manager and tried that user name with my previously entered 4 digit password. That does not work. The stored password for HP Connected and HPID is about 1 page long and hard to copy.

Why is this so hard?

HP Recommended

I am still waiting for a solution that works. Again, I formatted a drive using FAT 32. As soon as I place it in the printer I get an error message say the file system is not supported. Then, when I place it back in my WIN 10 PC, I get an error message that the drive has errors to be resolved. I get this EVERY TIME I take a drive from the printer to the PC. If I do have the PC scan the drive there is no noticeable difference. When I try to use it in the printer, I get the error message noted above, until I do a hard reboot.

Please help. I recognize this printer is out of warranty, but I need assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.