Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having an issue with Scan to Email.  This has worked in the past, but then suddenly stopped working.  I have accessed the setup using the IP address.  I know my email smtp information and my password.  I also have tried two different emails, just to make sure the email or smtp wasn't an issue.  (an OLD pacbell.net email and a more current gmail email)  Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I continually get an error that says "Username or password is incorrect.  Ensure both user account and password are valid"   Is there something I need to clear in order to get past this?  I have tried setting both Outgoing E-mail Profiles and Default SMTP Confirguration.  No matter what I try, I cannot get beyond the error message.   Also, the Scan to Usb works fine, so I know the scanner is working.  And, Scan to Email previously worked, as can be confirmed in the report that says I have scanned to email 95 times.  I'm guessing what happened is that I had to change my email password, which made it stop working.  But now, even deleting the profile and creating a new one with the correct password won't work.  I have done a ton of research, and tried everything suggested, but cannot get this to work.  Thankyou for any help you can provide.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @KB-KB,

For Gmail, follow below steps to ensure its security settings allow the printer to connect:

First, open the following link and login to the same account as you set for the printer.

Note: if you are connected, sign out from your account, select your account and manually enter the password to ensure you indeed use the correct password, then click on Security from the left pane:
https://myaccount.google.com/security

Within the Signing in to Google section, check the "2-Step Verification" velue.

If it is set as "On", create and use an App-Specific Password with the printer:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If it is set as "Off", Within the Less secure app access section ensure that the feature is on.

If it is Off, click on Turn on access (not recommended) and toggle on the feature. Otherwise the verification will fail.
Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

You solution worked!  Thank you so much.  I have been searching for days trying to find this solution.  I am so happy!!! This is awesome!

UPDATE:  The scan to email has stopped working.

HP Recommended

Although your solution worked initially, it did not work today when I tried to use the scan to email feature.  I deleted the first app password and repeated the process to see if it would fix the situation.  It still doesn't work.  I get the following error (from within my printers EWS software, when setting up outgoing email profiles):  Cannot resolve the SMTP server. Check the SMTP and DNS server settings with your system administrator or Internet Service Provider.     I have used smtp.**bleep**.com (s m t p . g m a i l . c o m) for the outgoing server, port 465.  And I used the generated app password by copying and pasting it from where Google generated it.  Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi @KB-KB.

This is a different problem, a login failure as before and a connection failure as of now are completely different issues, a such as you describe now is more related to the internet connectivity, not to your email security.

Please open the Network tab and click on Network Identification.

Set the Primary IP as 8.8.8.8

Set the Secondary IP as 8.8.4.4

Now restart the printer and check for any difference with the email profile.

If there is no change, please make sure that the SSL/TLS option is checked, also try port 587 and check for any difference.

If there is no change yet, may you have any network change lately? a new router, access point, moved to another service provider? etc.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.  I'm sorry for the delay in my response.  I did get this working today, following both of your solutions.  Initially, I wasn't able to get it to work, but then I realized that the DEFAULT SMPT CONFIGURATION settings were conflicting with the OUTGOING E-MAIL PROFILES.  (I was attempting to uncheck DEFAULT and set up in OUTGOING MAIL settings, but I was still having issues).  Eventually, I deleted the OUTGOING setting altogether, and used the DEFAULT SMPT CONFIGURATION and that solved my issue.  So now, I'm not certain of your latest suggestion was actually necessary, or if I had the conflict previously.  But it's working now, using the promary and secondary IPs  you suggested, as well as using an app password.  Thank  you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.