Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OfficeJet Pro. Using HP Smart from the laptop, on the Scan screen there are settings for "Source" (document feeder / scanner glass),  "Presets" (document / photo), then "Scan Area". This always defaults to "Letter (8.5 x 11in)". How do I change the settings so that the default is "A4 (210  x297mm)"?

Then I won't have to remember to check the setting every time, or re-scan when I do forget.

Thanks.

Further to the original post. I now find that if I have scanned with non-default settings (i.e. double-sided and ISOA4), then I click on "Add" to add further pages to the scanned document, the settings I used for the previous part of the document are not saved - they revert to single-sided and Letter!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@OKThenJohn430 

This is a reasonable question.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be any way to very reasonably set the default paper size to your region's common paper.

I did send the question for internal review - I've not yet heard back.

Assuming there is a solution,

and

Assuming we are not all "just missing" where to input the settings,

The fix will likely show up as a new release of the HP Smart application.

Hang in there if you can do so...

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Don't you think it odd that in the whole world, as far as I am aware, there is only one country that uses "Letter" but the default is set at this obscure size.  Has a solution been found yet?  

I'm kinda tired of having to re-scan documents to get the bottom of the page included because I forgot to choose a standard size.

HP Recommended

No solution offered yet.

It is odd that ISO A4 is not offered as the default setting and that it cannot be set as a default. After all, ISO is an international standards organisation and every other printer and scanner I have used at home and work, without exception, offers ISO A4 as a default setting.

It is a frustrating nuisance that, having set the scan area to A4, it reverts to Letter when adding a page or after deleting a scan or doing anything other than clicking on scan again.

HP Recommended

My HP default scan area somehow got changed to Entire Scan area instead of letter.

I want it set back to the "letter" default.  How do I do this?

Also, my document feeder is not feeding.  How do I fix this?

Thank you.

Michael Wernz

HP Recommended

@Michael19591 

Load the document into the Automatic Document Feeder according to the instructions in the User Guide

Page 36

Note:  If the printer does not "ding" in response to loading the stack in the ADF, remove the stack, reposition and gently shove it back into the feeder.

If the paper loads properly,

If all the settings are correct,

If the document / stack does not feed,

Consider:

Read the Specifications.

Category Product Information > Topic Specifications

Sample from the list

Product Specifications for the HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer (1KR46C)

and / or

• Paper might be wrong size (not supported in the ADF)
  • Paper might be wrong type (curled, crinkled, too thin, too long (size), not supported in the ADF)

OR

Category Troubleshooting > Topic Scan

Solutions presented in order to be considered / completed

Automatic document feeder does not pick paper or feeds too many sheets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Settings

Using HP Scan, select the scan type and select the "Page Size"

Examples

Scanning JPEG image(s)

Open HP Scan

Set scan type as JPEG

Select options in main menu, including 

Source = Document feeder if Loaded (or similar)

Select Page Size = Letter

Optional

Open More > Scan

Open "Output Page Size" drop-down menu

Select page size

Click OK to save the change and exit the sub-menu

When ready, click Scan

9025_HP_Scan_menu_JPEG_More_Image_All_19025_HP_Scan_menu_JPEG_More_Image_All_1

Scanning to PDF is very similar to JPEG setup.

Open HP Scan

Set scan type as PDF

Select options in main menu, including 

Source = Document feeder if Loaded (or similar)

Select Page Size = Letter

Optional

Open More > Scan

Open "Output Page Size" drop-down menu

Select page size

Click OK to save the change and exit the sub-menu

When ready, click Scan

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_49025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_4

Example - HP Smart - Windows - Document Menu

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Document_Screen_6HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Document_Screen_6

Example - HP Smart - Windows - Photo / Image Menu

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Photo_Screen_5HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Photo_Screen_5

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It's fixed! 

Thanks HP, Dragonfur et al.

When I opened the app, it asked for notification settings. Then when I opened the scan dialog, the setting "Scan Area" had been replaced by "Page Size" and was set to "A4(210-297mm)". A few tests showed that settings for single/double sided and the page size were retained through new scans, add, closing and re-opening the app and restarting the computer.

😁😁😁

HP Recommended

@OKThenJohn430 

Excellent.

You are welcome.

Stay Safe.

Carry on.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had the same problem for a long time and have posted previously about it.

I saw your solution.

How do I find those screens of which you included screenshots in your suggested solution, please?

Cheers

Alan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.