Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know I have an old printer and I had it printing and scanning just fine with my previous Windows 10.  I recently installed a new SSD drive and had to reinstall Windows 10.  Currently, I am able to print from the Officejet 5510, but when I go to Windows Fax and Scan to scan documents like I used to before, the Officejet scanner is not recognized in the Windows Fax and Scan program.  I have tried to install drivers but nothing has helped.  Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to get the scanner working again?  Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@bopha99

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Try using the Windows Native Driver and check if that helps

First uninstall the printer software from root level once again and then install the Windows Native Driver

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and reinstall the printer driver using the Windows Built In driver and follow the onscreen Instructions

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response.  I did all that and then restarted the computer and under printers and scanners the HP officejet 5500 series came up, but it says under the name Driver is Unavailable.  Then, I reopened windows fax & Scan and it still says "no scanners were detected" when I go to new scan.  Is there some sort of scanner driver I need?  This is frustrating because there are no drivers available on the HP website!  By the way, the printer still works.  

HP Recommended

I suggest you try using the HP Smart App https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/ish_2073929-1413451-16

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The HP Smart app wont recognize my printer even when it is plugged in to the USB port.  What else should I try?  I know it can work because I had it working before.

HP Recommended

Are you able to make Photocopies directly from the Printer?

Try using the HP Scan & Capture App https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675206

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I tried to use that program, but my printer would not be recognized.  Any other ideas?  I am still able to print, but the scanner is not recognized.

HP Recommended

Try assigning a Manual IP Address and also ensure the printer has the latest Firmware

- Print a Network Config Page from the printer. Note the printer's IP address.

- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.

- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.

- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250

- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)

- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.

- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS.

- Click 'Apply'.

Firmware https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

wait but this printer doesnt connect to wifi.  it is pretty old and connects via a cord.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted

My apologies. Yes this printer seems to be an older model without the complete touch panel and wireless feature

If the printer is connected through the cord try using the HP Scan and Capture https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-scan-and-capture/9wzdncrfhwl0?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&active...

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.