Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET PRO 7740 WIDE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It looks like HP Smart updated recently because the last time I used scan a week or so ago with HP Smart it did not ask me to sign in to do it.  I have several users in our network on this printer and if HP Smart updates on their with this issue there will be some high blood pressure.   Already stressed because everyone here gives me the stink eye because this HP Officejet Pro 7740 Wide locks up if more than one user is printing at a time.... not to mention the fact that you can't replace this printer because there is a supply shortage due to Covid.   WTH. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@WarMachine2017 

Yes, agreed.  Something is different.

Both the HP Smart for Windows and HP Smart for Mobile (iOS) have apparently suffered through a metamorphosis of some kind.

The application has always preferred (that) you log into your HP Account (HP Smart / HP Account).

The update (or whatever this was) might have forced the "need to be logged in" status and produced (at least in my case) a couple of odd side affects.

Reminder: 

The following is based on personal experience only - there is nothing "official" about this procedure...

First, Open the HP Smart application

Next, make sure you are logged into your HP Account on the application menu (upper right corner of the main menu - tiny "people" icon).

If the login balks and wants you to create a new account,

Act like you are doing so - enter the exact same email / userid and password that you have always used - enter the same phone number.

When you click to accept / save the changes,

Look for a red message under your email / userid that you entered - Click to "Sign in" to your existing account.

Wait for the application to spin awhile - it should eventually (several seconds) let you log into the application.

Check for any difference - the printer should again show up on the main menu and the application should start working again.

What happened?

No idea, but I've had to complete this odd procedure on both HP Smart for Windows and my HP Smart for Mobile (on iPad Pro) for the Officejet Pro 9025.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@WarMachine2017 

Yes, agreed.  Something is different.

Both the HP Smart for Windows and HP Smart for Mobile (iOS) have apparently suffered through a metamorphosis of some kind.

The application has always preferred (that) you log into your HP Account (HP Smart / HP Account).

The update (or whatever this was) might have forced the "need to be logged in" status and produced (at least in my case) a couple of odd side affects.

Reminder: 

The following is based on personal experience only - there is nothing "official" about this procedure...

First, Open the HP Smart application

Next, make sure you are logged into your HP Account on the application menu (upper right corner of the main menu - tiny "people" icon).

If the login balks and wants you to create a new account,

Act like you are doing so - enter the exact same email / userid and password that you have always used - enter the same phone number.

When you click to accept / save the changes,

Look for a red message under your email / userid that you entered - Click to "Sign in" to your existing account.

Wait for the application to spin awhile - it should eventually (several seconds) let you log into the application.

Check for any difference - the printer should again show up on the main menu and the application should start working again.

What happened?

No idea, but I've had to complete this odd procedure on both HP Smart for Windows and my HP Smart for Mobile (on iPad Pro) for the Officejet Pro 9025.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.