Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Smart app updated on the Windows Store and now keeps asking me to log in again. When I try to log in it goes through the process and then gets stuck on "thanks for waiting" and never progresses beyond that point. I have left it sit like that for hours and it just never progresses. Before the update, it worked flawlessly. 

I've already done the "uninstall and re-install" process. HP Help chat was no help either. 

Any ideas?

20201109_110757.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Legendsingray 

Do you have any other control over the application at all before the login request?

For example, does HP Smart open and display the main / home menu?

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes, I can see all the task buttons in the app. But all the task buttons seen below EXCEPT for the "Printer Settings" all take me to the sign in screen - which then gets me stuck as mentioned above. 

Screenshot 2020-11-09 144517.png

The printer is connected and will print from word, excel, the web, etc. 

HP Recommended

@Legendsingray 

Uninstalling the application from Apps and Features should indeed remove the HP Smart app from the system.

If the operation still fails when you install ("Get") a new copy of the app from the Windows Store,

the application is in some way remembering your setup but cannot connect the printer completely

Does the app need to be updated?

Open Windows Store on your computer.

If you are using a Microsoft login (on the computer), the Store will automatically be logged in, else provide your Microsoft login credentials to log into the store.

When the store is open,

In the upper right corner, click on the three horizontal dots (Settings)

Select Downloads and Updates

If HP Smart shows up in the "available updates" list,

Click to update the application and follow any prompts.

At this writing (and it may change again soon), the current HP Smart for Windows application version:  121.1.193.0

For reference, the HP Smart version can be found in Apps and Features

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Scroll down or search to find "HP Smart"

Select the app icon > Advanced options

What if?

If the current version of HP Smart is / was already installed,

the Advanced options also provides Reset, Repair, and Uninstall options.

Idea:

How the HP Smart / HP Connected setup is used:

Cloud services (Web services) connects the printer to the account and to scan options.

HP Smart / HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

Once the printer is connected to HP Smart / HP Connected,

Open HP Smart for Windows and (attempt to) log into the HP Smart account.

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_2HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_2

What if?

If you cannot log in,

Quit / exit the application

Wait a few seconds,

Start HP Smart

Printer Settings

Scroll down > Forget this printer

Quit / exit the application

Wait a few seconds,

Start HP Smart

See if you can log in...

Will that work?

Maybe.

The point is to untangle the application enough that you can add the printer and log into the app.

The HP Smart / HP Connected account requires that you have added your printer to the account.

The latest versions of HP Smart require the login to the HP Smart / HP Connected account using your HP Smart / HP Connected credentials.

Yeah, but!!

Yes, I know - some people don't like this requirement.

References / Resources

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8030 All-in-One Printer series

eJet Pro 8030 All-in-One Printer series

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

None of that worked.

I have the most recent version. 

I tried repair, then reset, then uninstalled again. Changed locations on HP site, forgot the printer in the app... re-found printer in the app. None of it worked. 

Its getting past the log-in screen but its locking up after transmitting and encrypting the data to HP. Its almost like their servers stop communicating with the app and the app just kinda sits there waiting for something. 

HP Recommended

@Legendsingray 

I'm about out of ideas.

One more try:

Uninstall HP Smart from Apps and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Double-Left-Click on your printer

Double-Left-Click on HP Smart

This "back door" method might work...

Stubborn, Stand-in-Mud and Refuses to work...

It is possible that Web Services is not starting in your region - it does that sometimes.

Cloud services must start to the printer - that has been added to your HP Smart / HP Connected account can actually connect to the Internet.

IF the problem is Web Services not starting on the printer,

There is naught to do but wait for the service to recover.

This can take hours or even days.

We don't have any control over the situation.

Web Services running on the printer...

What else?

No connection of the printer to the Internet = No HP Smart application connection to Cloud services

No application connection means HP Smart won't work.

What to do??

Consider (for the moment) using HP Scan and Capture to Scan.  

Scan and Capture is NOT HP Smart but it will at least provide some scan options...

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Honestly, for the moment, I have pretty much exhausted what I have to offer.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

That "backdoor" just points you back to the Windows store to download the app. Which just puts you back in the same loop. 

The only backdoor function that I have found to work is the embedded webserver. I can scan from that. So I guess I'll use that until HP fixes the app or connection or whatever the problem is. 

Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

@Legendsingray 

Edits

Content Removed - Not used / not deemed helpful or relevant

Updates - No answer here

Yes, the method described is also downloading and installing from the Microsoft Store.,

Awkward and silly wording...😐

<Content Removed by Author>

What else?

Critical Firmware Update (Released Oct 27, 2020)

HP OfficeJet 8020/OfficeJet Pro 8020/OfficeJet Pro 8030 All-in-One Printer series firmware update 

What else?

Not directly related to the issue at hand, 

Installing the Full Feature Software provides additional options for print and scan.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8030 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

<Content Removed by Author>

What else?

Recent changes to HP Smart require that the printer be added to HP Smart / HP Connected.  At initial setup, that is after the printer is added to the account, only the "owner" (the login userid to HP Smart / HP Connected) has print access.  Other users must be added to the Allowed senders list.  Originally, this was part of the requirement for using the printer with ePrint - the "allowed senders" list might also be relevant to the HP Smart application.

HP Smart / HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

What else?

It appears that the whole thing (HP Smart / HP Connected and HP Smart) is now also tied to the HP Account and the HP Dashboard (which apparently also controls parts of HP Support Assistant).

So, What to do??

Try logging into the HP Account / Dashboard - that might kick open the Cloud services.  It at least does provide access to your Account details (that used to be accessed via HP Smart / HP Connected account but have been removed from that setup).

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

What??

At this writing,

I do not have an authorized answer to any of this - it's not supposed to be this badly broken, of course.

Different things are happening to different people depending on the exact nature and details of their setup, their account / application login characteristics, and possibly even their printer. 

For many of us, it works - for some, "not-so-much".

What about "Me, too!" questions:

I fully suggest that if you have a related / same / similar issue that you start a new thread.

I won't answer.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Not sure if its relevant or not, but was trying to use the HP East Start driver to see if I could force it to work and when that went through its log-in process it gave me this error:

This oss.hpconnected.com page can’t be found

No webpage was found for the web address:  oss.hpconnected.com

HTTP ERROR 404

Which still leads me to believe something is broken on HPs end. 
HP Recommended

And its not just my account. My wife's login on this PC also gets stuck at the "thanks for waiting". 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.