Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6530Pagewide MFP 772dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

in HP Smart, I used to be able to set a default setting on paper size to "A4".

With the latest update it is now defaulting to "Letter" , when I reset it to "A4" and restart HP Smart it defaults again to "Letter"

Like to see a solution

Regards Arie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bobctrlshft 

Yes, HP Scan and Capture is a nice alternative.

Good idea.

For those reading, there are indeed "other ways to scan".

For now, use alternative software to scan documents.

NOTE for Windows S mode users:

• Windows in S mode only allows installation of applications from the Microsoft Store.  Windows "S" mode scan options are therefore limited to those applications you can install from the Store (marked in Green).
  • Windows 10 (full Windows) can make use of any of the "blue" or the "green" options.

Example list...

NOTE:  Alternatives do not necessarily provide the same settings / features as HP Smart.

HP Scan - part of the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.

Example - HP Scan Main Menu

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_49025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_4

HP Scan and Capture

Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Download-Save-Install   HP Scan and Capture

Description

HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any* HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications.

* NOTE:  The correct HP drivers for your scanner must be installed from HP's Support Website.

Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

Windows Scan  Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Paint (mspaint)

Older software - not fancy - does scan images without undue difficulty.

Does not save defaults.

• Open  Paint
  • Expand the “white background” area to a size to accommodate your data.  If unknown, try 1300x1300
  • File > Select “From Scanner or Camera
  • Select your printer > Follow the prompts to scan and then save your item

Possibly

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

Webscan - assuming the printer is on the network - likely works in Windows "S" mode

NOTE:  Webscan feature  is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Arie de Kort

email:  [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

@Adknz 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Try / Consider

In HP Smart, Update the setting that can impact the default paper size:

HP Smart > Printer Settings > Printer Information > Preferences > Country

Open HP Smart

Click the Printer Settings box

In Section Printer Information

In subsection Preferences Drop-down menu

Select your Country (and Language)

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the same issue since the last update to HP Smart.

Unfortunately, changing the Country/Language preference has no impact on the Scanner default page size.

HP Recommended

@B-J-H 

Yeah - disappointing -  and after looking into this a bit more, it is not entirely surprising.  😐

Since I posted the first message in this thread, I've asked the question internally.

I have yet to receive a response / solution.

For the moment, all I can say is that sometimes when we do report issues of this general type, we do later see a version update to address the root cause of the reported problem.  Relevant here?  Unknown.  We wait.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the same issue EVERY sheet I have to reset the size of scanning from Letter to A4 - it takes a age and it you miss a sheet on a multi sheet document it wastes more time than ever.

The changing of the setting is easy - I an set up as UK and English UK but still scanner defaults of Letter really disappointing it seems that there should be such a simple fix.

HP Recommended

I  HAVE THE ENVY 7855 ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANNOT PRINT ENVELOPES. WHY?  I USE TO BE ABLE TO GO TO MAILINGS -ENVELOPES AND MY ENVELOPE WOUDL PRINT THE ADDRESS NOW IT READS IT DETECTS A LARGER SIZE PRINT THAN I AM ASKING FOR. WHAT CHANGED?  HOW DO I PRINT ENVELOPES PLEASE?

HP Recommended

Hello,

We are having the same issue on a HP MFP M280 using the HP smart scanning app version: 127.1.115.0

This is affecting multiple customers using the HP smart app.

All windows 10 printer defaults are set to a4, as are any setting we can find via the Advanced printer settings.

Our region is defaulted to UK , English in the HP Smart Prefernces, but it will not allow me to change this, what region settings will default to A4 ?

Is there an alterantive fix for this issue, lots of unhappy people being slowed down by this bug.

HP Recommended

@Bobctrlshft

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Uninstall and reinstall the HP Smart App.

Also, try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Upgraded to the latest firmware but still the same problem: default setting for scanner remains Letter.  For printing and copying paper size default is A4.  No way to change setting for scanner.

When scanning multiple pages manually, need to change size for every page.

On my old Officejet 6500A Plus I had to set it only once.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.