Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Enterprise MFP M480
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have a new colour Laser Jet MFP M480 - that can print and copy OK - but HP Smart gives the error "Scanning is currently unavailable" every time I goto Scan page.

Printing works fine - I can see the printer on the network. HP Smart can see it, show supply levels and device information.

I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware (bundle v5.2, revision 2502087_007702, datecode 20210331), reinstalled  HP Smart (v2.8.0), however I cannot get scanning to work however I try.

I am on Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

I have 11 months warranty remaining, but the HP Support site rather concerningly says "This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I raised a business support ticket through the HP business channels, and eventually (after 4 weeks and lots of emailing diagnostic logs and so on), they were able to help me find a solution that enabled the HP Smart app to scan to the printer.

The high level steps that addressed the problem were:

• I used the EWS web-based interface (because the Apply/Cancel buttons do not seem to appear properly on the HP Smart App). In other words, after finding the IP address of the printer, I went to http://<ip address>, accepted the certificate bypass warnings, and viewed the printer page (which is similar to the HP Smart App).
  • I logged into the web-site of my printer via the User Sign-in option in top right hand corner (and managed to remember the password I had set 2 months ago).
  • Once logged in, more tab options appeared across the top of the web page "Information, General, Copy/Print, Scan/Digital Send, Fax, Supplies, Troubleshooting, Security, HP Web Services and Networking".
  • First, I went to General > Firmware upgrade and installed another Firmware upgrade to bundle 5.2.0.2 (revision 2502507_000081 / date 2021-07-17), which I have included for completeness even though this did not seem to fix the issue.
  • Next, I navigated to Networking > Other Settings and checked ON a box entitled "WebScan" which was off previously. After clicking Apply I was able to get the Scanner page to appear without the "Scanning is currently available error", but I got a different error when I tried to press the preview or scan buttons.
  • Next, I navigated to Security > General Security, and searched for the checkbox "WebScan Auto Capture Jobs > Enable Remote User Auto Capture" and turned this ON and pressed Apply.

I guess I must thank HP support for eventually helping me find the solution, but the process to get there has left me disappointed with the HP experience. The printer has preset settings that seem to disable scanning via their app, and the support team kept giving me Windows instructions for my Mac and so on.

Having said that, we love the printer. It is quick, quiet and far more reliable than our old non-HP printer that kept crashing printing fairly simple jobs. If the printing and scanning continue to work reliably I look forward to many years of happy use.

Good luck to anyone else who finds their way to this message.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I raised a business support ticket through the HP business channels, and eventually (after 4 weeks and lots of emailing diagnostic logs and so on), they were able to help me find a solution that enabled the HP Smart app to scan to the printer.

The high level steps that addressed the problem were:

• I used the EWS web-based interface (because the Apply/Cancel buttons do not seem to appear properly on the HP Smart App). In other words, after finding the IP address of the printer, I went to http://<ip address>, accepted the certificate bypass warnings, and viewed the printer page (which is similar to the HP Smart App).
  • I logged into the web-site of my printer via the User Sign-in option in top right hand corner (and managed to remember the password I had set 2 months ago).
  • Once logged in, more tab options appeared across the top of the web page "Information, General, Copy/Print, Scan/Digital Send, Fax, Supplies, Troubleshooting, Security, HP Web Services and Networking".
  • First, I went to General > Firmware upgrade and installed another Firmware upgrade to bundle 5.2.0.2 (revision 2502507_000081 / date 2021-07-17), which I have included for completeness even though this did not seem to fix the issue.
  • Next, I navigated to Networking > Other Settings and checked ON a box entitled "WebScan" which was off previously. After clicking Apply I was able to get the Scanner page to appear without the "Scanning is currently available error", but I got a different error when I tried to press the preview or scan buttons.
  • Next, I navigated to Security > General Security, and searched for the checkbox "WebScan Auto Capture Jobs > Enable Remote User Auto Capture" and turned this ON and pressed Apply.

I guess I must thank HP support for eventually helping me find the solution, but the process to get there has left me disappointed with the HP experience. The printer has preset settings that seem to disable scanning via their app, and the support team kept giving me Windows instructions for my Mac and so on.

Having said that, we love the printer. It is quick, quiet and far more reliable than our old non-HP printer that kept crashing printing fairly simple jobs. If the printing and scanning continue to work reliably I look forward to many years of happy use.

Good luck to anyone else who finds their way to this message.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.