Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hi Pacofonix,

I searched my entire Windows registry for my printer's SoftwareCUEContextID ("#Hewlett-Packard#HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series#1476669342"), and I found it in eight different places (plus a few as the "fax" variant, the ControlSet001 alias, etc.):

As SoftwareCUEContextID:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\PrinterDriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\PrinterMigrationEx\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\PrinterDriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\PrinterDriverData
As ContextID:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\DeviceInstances\1476669342\Strings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\PrinterMigrationEx\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\PrinterDriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\PrinterDriverData
As CUEDeviceID:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000\DeviceData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade\PnP\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceMigration\Devices\ROOT\IMAGE\0000\Driver\DeviceData

The location which seems most promising, to find both all-in-one printers and standalone scanners, might be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}

Can you look and see if yours is there?

Or maybe somewhere under one of these?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceContainers
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceOverrides

I did not find mine under HKEY_CURRENT_USER at all. Perhaps it can be under either HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE depending on how the software was installed.

The location I found which is most similar to yours (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging) is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging

I also searched the entire registry for "DigitalImaging" (which sounds generic, but seems to be HP-specific) and found only:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging (and a few equivalents under HKEY_USERS)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
(But only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging contained a mention of my device's ContextID.)

I also found my OfficeJet printer's IP address in many places:

As PortID:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\CUE Settings\0000_
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series\DeviceInstances\1476669342\Functions\1284.4
As PortID, and as part of NetworkDeviceID:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}\0000\DeviceData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\IMAGE\0000\Device Parameters
As part of Location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\PrinterMigrationEx\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\PrinterMigrationEx\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series
(and quite a few other places)

Would you mind please exporting a few registry subtrees and sending them to me? (Or you can just send those which mention your scanner's ContextID/CUEDeviceID/SoftwareCUEContextID.)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade\PnP\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceMigration\Devices\ROOT

Thanks,
Dave

HP Recommended

JRBC,

Works wonderfully. In my case, had to change to 15-20 seconds range because of all that is running (TSRs) on this machine on WIN7ULT.

For those not savvy to the process, make a TEXT file in windows root folder, (C:\windows) RunHPSC.bat and paste the commands into it, and make sure you save the file with a BAT extension instead of txt. Right click on it and then Send To, Desktop (Create Shortcut).  Then follow the rest of the directions to run as an administrator.

If you find it doesn't quite get Solution Center going and you still get the FLASH error (f/i screen), add some time to both the "REM wait" and "timeout" lines (keep the same same number in both) to a value that works for you. Minimum wait value that gets the job done reliably is what you want to use. Will be a trial and error to find the sweet spot value.

Thanks again for the BAT file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.