Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I do not have the option of OCR after I scan on my Photosmart C4780 printer

I am using Windows 8.1operating system

Can you tellme where I can get the appropriated software as I downloaded Solution Centre directly from the HP website

The printer has always had full OCR options onmy  other Windows7 laptop

Your advice would be ppreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi jimfer,

I understand you have a Photosmart C4780 that you want to use OCR software with. I will do my best to assist you with this.

You must have had another printer that came with OCR software on your Windows 7 system because the Photosmart printers do not come with OCR software. It's generally the Officejet's that come it, because they are geared towards businesses that would need the OCR software.

What I would suggest you try is downloading and running the HP Printer Install Wizard to get your C4780 installed and running, and once it's installed please download and run the software for the Officejet 8500 Wireless as it comes with the OCR software and uses the same version of software as the C4780. When the Officejet installation gets to the connection options, just choose the Connect Later option.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but hopefully it does and you can continue to use the C4780 with the OCR software.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi jimfer,

I understand you have a Photosmart C4780 that you want to use OCR software with. I will do my best to assist you with this.

You must have had another printer that came with OCR software on your Windows 7 system because the Photosmart printers do not come with OCR software. It's generally the Officejet's that come it, because they are geared towards businesses that would need the OCR software.

What I would suggest you try is downloading and running the HP Printer Install Wizard to get your C4780 installed and running, and once it's installed please download and run the software for the Officejet 8500 Wireless as it comes with the OCR software and uses the same version of software as the C4780. When the Officejet installation gets to the connection options, just choose the Connect Later option.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but hopefully it does and you can continue to use the C4780 with the OCR software.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The installation of the Officejet software solved  the problem and I now have the OCR option on my scanner. Thanks again I can reccomend this solution as tried and tested.***** 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! FYI the link for OCR software was broken - here is the correct one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3752...

HP Recommended

Hello @MissTeriLynn, will this solution work for an HP Envy 4500 on Windows 10? If so, could you detail the steps? I thought I would give it a try, but although I've installed the OCR software, the scanner doesn't seem to recognise it. And the OCR software is most insistent that I register it!

Thanks, Eve.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.