Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
officejet 8725
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot setup 'scan to network folder'  I have trawled internet and forums, got some ideas but still cannot do it.  printer is on wireless network, prints fine, can (sometimes) do the print to pc but cannot setup the much more useful scan to network folder.

Please, DO NOT suggest reinstall (of anything whatsoever!) DO NOT suggest turning on SMB1 this is unsafe and should not be an option.  I have tried various combinations of IP address and 'credentials' but either am not doing it right or there is something else blocking it.  Anyone done this successfully since the last win10 version update please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@solent, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you already have the network path of the destination folder (e.g., \\servername.us.companyname.net\scans), follow the steps below-

1. Locate the IP address.

• 2-line control panels: On the printer control panel, press the OK button. Open the Network Setup menu, and then select Show IP Address to display the IP address or host name.

• Touchscreen control panels: From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Connection Information  button, and then touch the Network Connected button or the Network Wi-Fi ON button to display the IP address or host name.

2. Open a Web browser, and in the address line, type the IP address or host name exactly as it displays on the printer control panel. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard. The EWS opens.

Figure : Example of an IP address in a browser window

NOTE: 

If the Web browser displays a message indicating that accessing the website might not be safe, select the option to continue to the website. Accessing this website will not harm the computer.

Step two: Configure the Scan to Network Folder feature

1. Click the System tab.

2. On the left navigation pane, click the Administration link.

3. In the Enabled Features area, set the Scan to Network Folder option to On.

4. Click the Scan tab.

5. On the left navigation pane, make sure that the Network Folder Setup link is highlighted. the Scan to Network Folder page should be displayed.

6. On the Network Folder Configuration page, click the New button.

7. In the Network Folder Information area, complete the following fields:

1. In the Display Name field, enter the name to display for the folder.

2. In the Network Path field, enter the network path to the folder.

3. In the Username field, enter the user name needed to access the folder on the network.

4. In the Password field, enter the password needed to access the folder on the network.

8. To require a PIN to be entered on the printer control panel before the printer can send a file to a network folder, complete the following fields in the Secure the Folder Access with a PIN area:

1. In the PIN (Optional) field, enter a four digit PIN.

2. In the Confirm PIN field, re-enter the four digit PIN.

NOTE: 

HP recommends creating a PIN to secure the destination folder.

NOTE: 

When a PIN is created, it must be entered on the printer control panel each time a scan is sent to the network folder.

9. In the Scan Settings area, complete the following fields:

1. From the Scan File Type drop-down, select the default file format scanned files.

2. From the Scan Paper Size drop-down, select the default paper size for scanned files.

3. From the Scan Resolution drop-down, select the default scan resolution for scanned files.

NOTE: 

Higher resolution images have more dots per inch (dpi), so they show more detail. Lower resolution images have fewer dots per inch and show less detail, but the file size is smaller.

4. In the Output Color drop-down, select whether scanned files will be in black and white or in color.

5. In the File Name Prefix field, enter a file name prefix (e.g., MyScan).

10. Review all the information, and then click one of the following options:

• Save and Test: Select this option to save the information and test the connection.

• Save Only: Select this option to save the information without testing the connection.

• Cancel: Select this option to quit the configuration without saving.

Try scanning to the network folder.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, the instructions you have given are general ones for many printers, not exactly for the 8725, the point is that I know HOW to follow the instructions in the software and it used to work under the old smb1 allowed in win10, now this and allied parts are disabled by default as unsafe, the scan to network wizard is unable to work, it does not get the permissions.  It is only possible to use 'scan to computer' and NOT the 'scan to network folder'  there are MANY queries on the web about this BUG in HP software/hardware (presume smb2 implementation?).  I suppose HP does not care anymore for printers less than a year old.

HP Recommended

@solent

Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.