Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
07-05-2022 09:23 PM - last edited on 07-08-2022 07:35 AM by Ric_ob
I was scanning some 8.5x11 double sided documents today using the ADF and all of a sudden, now any docs I scan, scan as if there is a break in each page where the top 2-3 inches of a page scans as page 1, then the remaining portion of the sheet gets scanned in as page 2. So each sheet I scan gets scanned as 2 seperate pages.
For example, I scanned the 3 sheets shown below using the default 'Save as PDF' option in the HP Scan program. If you look at the second image, it starts to scan the first sheet fine for a few seconds and then it creates a new page and adds the remainder of the first sheet to the second page. So for the 3 sheets, I end up getting 6 messed up pages in the resulating output PDF. I don't know if it will show on the uploaded images, but there is some signs of stretching along the axis of the scan if you can compare the text of original to the ouput PDF near the break in the scanning.
Scanning on the flatbed works fine. It's almost like some kind of physcial sheet location / tracking sensor is failing or is out of alignment.
It's really weird. I have tried everything I know to fix it including;
- Reset all of the Presets in the HP Scan App via right clicking them
- Restarted Printer & PC with 60 sec power unplug on 7740.
- Firmare update, which there was a few months newer firmware avalible and the update completed successfully.
- Uninstalled previous driver via Windows settings, then manually removed the driver package after temporally shutting off the Windows Print Server
- Installed latest full driver package from HP website
- Factory Reset the printer
- Tested scanning from another program via TWAIN and WIA, same issue
Anyone have any other ideas? Appreciate any help or leads, thank you!
07-11-2022 02:17 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community
I understand you are facing some scanning issues with your HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-In-One Printer. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting to fix the issue on your own. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.
To assist you better:
- I would like to know does the copy print out the same way when you try from ADF?
While you respond to that, could you please try using our HP Scan and Capture app for Microsoft operating system for scanning.
Clean the automatic document feeder (ADF)
- If your printer has an ADF, clean it regularly to help avoid paper jams and quality problems.
- Get a lint-free cloth and distilled water.
- Remove the original document from the ADF.
- Turn off the printer, and then disconnect the power cord.
- Open the ADF cover.
- Find the paper pick rollers and the separator pad inside the ADF.
- Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with filtered or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.
- Use the damp cloth to clean the paper pick rollers and the separator pad.
- Leave the ADF cover open for two minutes to allow the rollers and pad to dry.
- Close the ADF cover.
- Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.
- Here is the HP support document for your future reference:- Click here
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
07-11-2022 02:49 PM
Thanks you for your reply. I tried to perform a copy using the ADF and got the same results, it output 2 pieces of paper chopping off the bottom of the first page and printing it on the top half of the second page. I had also cleaned the all the different rollers and pads as part of my first steps to try to diagnose the issue.
I tried the HP Scan and Capture app and recieved somewhat worse scans. Instead of just chopping off part and shifting it to the next page, the app streaks the distance of the shift down. The streaking is not caused by it getting caught, the paper is feeding fine. Scanning with the HP Scan and Capture app from the flatbed works fine though. I think at this point I am going to see if a shop in town can look at it or I'll just buy a new unit as I can't be without a ADF scanner much longer. Thanks for your suggestions Anand_Andy.
07-12-2022 01:26 PM
Thank you for your response, I see there are vertical lines on the scanned document and they indicate it is a hardware issue. I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community