Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I scanned one night and the next morning the HP Solution Center stopped working. I can right-click on the printer in the Control Panel and scan but each page becomes a separate file. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and tried to reinstall the software from the HP Web site, but I get a DNS error that says to try again later. I've tried for several weeks and it will not install.  I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Linda_1--2

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community.

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the printer.

I will be delighted to assist you here.

Follow this link and try HP scan and capture app.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, but the link took me to help for Windows 8 and 10. I use Windows 7, 64-bit.

Linda

HP Recommended

@Linda_1--2

Thanks for the response.

In that case, follow this link and perform the steps in the given order.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your post. My 4500g-m copies and faxes and prints, it just won't scan unless I right-click on the printer icon in the Control Panel. I'll try what you suggested and let you know if it works. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Linda_1--2

Great, keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I went through the steps and the Print and Scan Doctor 5.1 told me to reinstall the software. When I tried to do that, I got the following message:

SERVICE UNAVAILABLE - DNS failure.

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.242dfea5.1547769323.3d5bee6b

I get that message every time I try to update the Solution Center software. The scan bar works fine, as it will scan when I right-click on the printer in the Control Panel ans select "scan." It is the Solution Center that will not work.

Help! I cannot afford to buy another printer right now, and I need to scan multiple pages into one file, not each page making up one file. It's really inconvenient for my project files.

Thank you.

Linda

HP Recommended

@Linda_1--2

Thanks for the response.

Try the steps given below:

NOTE: 

HP Scan does not support adding multiple JPEG, PNG, or TIFF photos into a single file. You must save photos in PDF format to save them all in one file.

1. Check the following requirements for multi-page scanning into one PDF file:

• To save multiple photos into one file, you must use the PDF document-related shortcuts.

• Use a resolution setting of 300 DPI or lower.

2. Search Windows for HP, and then select your printer.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

3. Click Scan, and then click Scan a Document or Photo.

HP Scan opens.

4. In HP Scan, select the Save as PDF or Document to File shortcut.

• If you scanned multiple pages from the ADF, click Save. All pages save into a single file.

• If you scanned from the scanner glass, load the next page or photo on the glass. Click the plus button  or  in the HP Scan preview window to scan the next item. Repeat this step until all pages or photos are scanned, and then click Save.

5. Select PDF in the Save as type menu.

6. Change the file name and the folder you want to save the scan to, and then click Save.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Barachel, for your suggestion. I tried each step very carefully, but it didn't work. I'm sorry I didn't respond as soon as I tried. I appreciate your help.

Linda

HP Recommended

I upgraded to Windows 10 and voila! Everything started working as it was supposed to. Scan, fax, copy, print. Just like a new machine. I'm so glad I came to this forum. It's a wonderful place to come and get help.

And thank you, Barachel, for trying so hard to help me. I called Microsoft and it was their suggestion, but I was concerned my software wouldn't work with it. Fortunately, I only had to make one other software change and my entire system is running like a new computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.