Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

HPScan was a great program which allowed me to save numerous shortcuts and other settings to scan via my HP Officejet 8720. It stopped working so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall but can't find it anywhere. So I installed HP Smart and HP Scan and Capture. They're both incredibly limited in what they can do. HP Scan and Capture initiates a scan as soon as I click on the icon, before any opportunity to alter settings. Has HP done away with an easy to use and  comprehensive app/program, only to replace it with much inferior versions?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Can you download and install the HP FULL Solution Software for your operating system:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-...

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks Greenturtle. The download took quite a while, taking me into something called Easy Start. It couldn't find the printer automatically so I had to find the IP and enter it. After the download I eventually found the old HPScan scan icon in the Start menu. Now I can use the HPScan facility which is way better than the scan option in Scan and Capture and HP Smart as I can save various shortcuts. But when I click on the icon I now have to Select Source, which I didn't have to do before.  Is there a way of avoiding the need to select Source each time? I have only one printer.

I see you're an HP employee. I searched all over HP's site to try to find the download. Anything you can do to make it easier for a non-tech person to find solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisHodExe 

You can Save the settings as a Shortcut so you don;t have to select "Source" every time.

greenturtle_1-1678019068556.png

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks Greenturtle. The icon in the start menu I was following after doing the full installation from the link you originally gave me is named HP TWAIN Administration. While I was trying (unsuccessfully) to follow your last suggestion about changing some settings, I looked in Program files (X86), HP, HP Officejet Pro, bin and found the icon for HPscan. I've now put that in the Task Bar and it opens without asking me about the source. And all the different saved options for scanning I had before the problem arose have magically reappeared. Maybe it was there all along. Who knows, but I now have what I was looking for. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisHodExe ,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.