Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5532
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

to begin with I couldn't scan a doc from scanner to PC - a message popped up saying it was unavailable. I used HP Doctor and the test scan worked well. But when  I try it again all that scans is the title of the doc. I've tried many times, used HP Doc again and test worked fine, switched off and back on and always only title scans, and rest of page is black. Also it doesn't give me an option where to save the scan or what to call it as the test scan did - the scanner just says see the monitor!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that the printer is working fine. To manage the scanned documents, recommend checking the printer utility on your computer. You have an option to specify a location to save the scanned documents. The default location is My Scans in the documents folder. Also, refer to chapter 6 in the printer manual

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings!!@Erin01

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.Thank you for posting your query.I read your post I see that you have scan issues on your printer.I'll be more than glad to help you out.Let's try to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver software by the following method.

Step 1:

Uninstalling the Printer from the computer.

1> In Windows search for and open Programs and features

2>Select your HP Printer

3>Select Uninstall

4>In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers.

5>In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP Printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete or 'Remove Device'

6>Open up the run command with the "Windows key +R" key combo.

7>Type printui.exe /s and click ok

8>Click on the "drivers" tab.

9>Look for Hp Printer driver.If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10>Select Ok

11>Select Apply and Okon the Printer Server Properties windows

12>Close Devices and printers.

Step2: Please refer the link to download the full feature software: Click here

Please complete the steps and let me know the outcome.

I'll be eagerly waiting to assist you with same, cheers 🙂

Have a nice day.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your detailed reply, however I've fallen at the very first hurdle! I can't find Programs and features. I've gone to the Start button and found HP but it only opens access to the printer and there isn't anywhere to delete. I've looked all over but can't see anywhere to Remove Programs.

I've managed to do the second bit and have 'Deleted the device'

Can you help? I do find Windows 10 very confusing. XP was so much more straightforward!

HP Recommended

Hi, I managed to delete HP eventually and installed everything. I tried to scan but itsaid it couldn't so I then used HP Doctor which took ages but which eventually did a successful test scan. But when I tried doing an ordinary scan from the scanner to the PC it is exactly the same as last night - a black screen with the word Nationwide in the middle. There is a second page with a double white line down it. And I dont get asked where these scans should go - they just appear as Scan in the documents list. For the test scan I get to save it wherever I want and do basic editing eg cropping.

Any other ideas? I must add that I used to be able to scan without any problems, but perhaps before i installed Windows 10.

The HP Doctor keeps saying there is newer software available, installs it then says there is newer software available.....so I'm not sure if I have it or not.

HP Recommended

@Erin01

Thank you for the update.

Appreciate your time and efforts.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this issue,

May I know the print quality on a stand-alone copy? (Copy through the scanner glass)

For detailed instructions on scan to computer: Click here

Please let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope that the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yea Sizzlingsum! A perfect scan! I did a copy scan and it worked fine so followed the instructions carefully and it worked - I think I'd been trying to scan a doc as  jpg as I never went into the settings.

The only wee problem I have is that I don't have any say where the scan is going to save. But if they all go into the docs folder then it's not too much of a problem.

Thanks again, much appreciated. Hope the machine behaves from now on, it's been developing a few wee foibles, but that's for another day!

Erin

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that the printer is working fine. To manage the scanned documents, recommend checking the printer utility on your computer. You have an option to specify a location to save the scanned documents. The default location is My Scans in the documents folder. Also, refer to chapter 6 in the printer manual

Let me know if this helped. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Chimney, I followed your instructions and managed to get the scan to go into the Scanned Documents folder, Hopefully they'll always go in there now! But I think in future I'll have the HP utility open on the pc so I can check where it's going and perhaps edit it if required.

Think I'm now sorted for scanning.

Thanks again

Erin

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that the issue is resolved. Please do post on our HP Forums for any technical assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.