Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 5030 all-in-one printer.  Until a few days ago brilliant, no problems. I use a USB connection to my Win 10 PC.2

But then a few days ago when pressing the Scan button, a message popped up on the printer window, telling me to visit the 123 site for a "newer version of the software for my computer.

So i went there, to find myself stuck in a maze, downloading supposedly required Scan Doctor, HP Smart, when all I wanted was to be able to Scan with the simple button.  I don't want the singing, dancing HP Smart with all the whizzy connectivity or whatever it does (I have uninstalled it).  Then I got a message telling me that the printer was unable to communicate with the PC - not true, I could print a test document OK.  I also got a message that the Support pages were unavaillable.  I guessed that perhaps so many folks had these issues that  the support server had run for the Rocky Mountains or somewhere, diodes frantically blinking in despair, to hide in a cave!

Somehow, then, HP has deprived me of my simple Scan function.  Why?

I have to use my PC in hi-contrast mode. Running round the HP maze was doing my eyes (and neck) in, and some HP site pages were illegible, even when  I temporarily toggled to normal screen mode, as they seemed to be white on white, or possibly very light grey on white.

All this was not a nice surprise for someone used to a great machine.

So: can HP help me get Scanning back, without imposing novelties that are beyond my modest needs?  At present the Scan button returns the same message as described baove, and I cannot Scan.

Thanks, and if the Administrators  know how to tag this pleading message with good keywords that will help others who are in a similar bind, htta would be great.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Sorescan,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing a scan-related issue with your HP ENVY 5030 All-in-One Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• Does the copy work fine?
  • What application are you trying to print from?

While you respond to that, Let's perform a power drain: 

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle

Update the printer firmware 

• Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your product
  • Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Please download HP Scan and Capture a simple scanning application developed by HP for scanning on Windows operating systems. (Reference document: Using the HP Scan and Capture App

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Anand_Andy,
Thank you, for your detailed reply and advice. I am severely vision impaired, so I don't want to make a stupid mistake/fall into another maze where things don't happen as I expect and I can't read important stuff!
Before I venture in: Can I just check that the following info does not change your instructions?

1. I always only connect the PC (running on battery power) via USB. The USB is disconnected when I'm done and take the PC to another room
2. I always Shut Down (not StandBy) the printer when finished, and turn the wall socket power off.
3. I have verified that I do not have a surge protector to the printer.
4. Yes: The Copy button worked fine and a nice copy was produced.
5. Yes: A test print of a Windows Notepad (.txt) document from within Windows 10 also worked as I expected.
6. You've given a link to the firmware download thing. Is this the only stuff I need to install for my Win10 PC? I've just found the drop-down option to download the Firmware update "2211C". I don't see anything about the "HP Scan & Capture" thing that you mention!
7. Should my PC at this stage be connected to the switched-on printer?

Sorry if this seems fussy, but I don't want to slip, up and I'm grateful for your attention and patience. I still don't understand why HP needed to make the Scan button unusable in the first place.
Thanks!

HP Recommended

Dear Anand_Andy,

Any adjustment to your instructions following my  ‎09-06-2022 06:48 AM ?

It was my points 6 and 7 in my post, that I hope to have your advice.

Thanks ever!

HP Recommended

Hi Anand_Andy - Scrolling down our thread, I can't see if you have replied re clarifying/updating your instructions.  Any advice now? Regards

HP Recommended

@Sorescan,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate your efforts. As the issue still persists, I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.