Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4511
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have no problem printing wirelessly. However, when I scan to computer, I select the destination listed as USER-HP and Scan as PDF. The printer initiates scanning and then displays the following message:

Scan Unsuccessful

One or more of the following problems has prevented the scan from being completed:

The connection to the computer has been lost.

The scan application on the computer is in use.

An OCR application is not installed on the computer.

Check the computer for more information.

I turned the printer off and back on. Now when I try to scan, the printer error message states that no connection is found to a computer.

I again turned the printer off and back on and was able to wirelessly print a test page.  Next I selected the Scan icon on the printer screen and received a message "No Computer Found".  It tells me to Open the HP Printer Software, select "Scanner Actions" and then select "Manage Scan to Computer".  

How is this done on Windows 7 as I cannot find this process available? And why would the printer not find the computer to perform a scan when the computer found the printer to create a print?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Newbie!  I have Win 10, so hopefully one of the EXPERT HP MODERATORS can tell you how to open Printer Assistant in Windows 7.  Please reply if successful (or not).

Your error message says:   "It tells me to Open the HP Printer Software, select "Scanner Actions" and then select "Manage Scan to Computer" "  They mean you need to "Enable" it.

Please find and open the HP Printer Assistant, which must work in Win 7 like my Win 10.  There may be the HP Printer icon on desktop.  In Win 10 it places one in the task bar at the bottom plus one in the start menu.  Look in your Win 7 Start > All Programs for the HP Envy 4511 series,  and for the Printer Assistant.

So open the Printer Assistant, click Print & Scan > Scan > Manage Scan to Computer.  A popup may be reflecting Scan to Computer is Disabled.  Click "Enable."  That should do it.

For future reference, also notice available in the Scan window is:    Scan a Document or Photo.  That enables scanning from the computer.  (Here you can scan as a JPEG or PDF)  This of course (as you have done) also is available in the computer's front display panel, which is very convienient.

Please let me know how you did for my  reference.  I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey Newbie!  I have Win 10, so hopefully one of the EXPERT HP MODERATORS can tell you how to open Printer Assistant in Windows 7.  Please reply if successful (or not).

Your error message says:   "It tells me to Open the HP Printer Software, select "Scanner Actions" and then select "Manage Scan to Computer" "  They mean you need to "Enable" it.

Please find and open the HP Printer Assistant, which must work in Win 7 like my Win 10.  There may be the HP Printer icon on desktop.  In Win 10 it places one in the task bar at the bottom plus one in the start menu.  Look in your Win 7 Start > All Programs for the HP Envy 4511 series,  and for the Printer Assistant.

So open the Printer Assistant, click Print & Scan > Scan > Manage Scan to Computer.  A popup may be reflecting Scan to Computer is Disabled.  Click "Enable."  That should do it.

For future reference, also notice available in the Scan window is:    Scan a Document or Photo.  That enables scanning from the computer.  (Here you can scan as a JPEG or PDF)  This of course (as you have done) also is available in the computer's front display panel, which is very convienient.

Please let me know how you did for my  reference.  I am not an HP employee.

HP Recommended

The HP print icon on my desktop originally only offered the option to add a computer.  So I added my HP laptop, and now the icon has a full menu that includes the option to "Manage Scan to Computer". It was easy to select and enable with a single click. That was the missing piece of information I needed.  HP should include that detail in their tutorials. Thank you for your quick, thorough and helpful response.

HP Recommended

Hello again Newbie, I'm happy to try helping.  Thanks for the kudos!  Have a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.