Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9010
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

After successfully scanning five pages to USB. I copied 600 dpi jpg files onto my imac, deleted them from the memory stick, and carefully ejected the disk. Upon returning  to my new printer to redo the scan that was cutoff, I get this error? It just worked a minute ago. I didn't mark the disk read only. I assume USB is formatted Windows FAT32 out of the box.

Googling the error message. Someone suggested the SSD is bad and needs to be replaced. It just worked and has 2 Gb free.

Please update your printer/scanner software. You should check the drive access BEFORE scanning rather than crashing after the scan.

My printer is plugged directly into the mac yet won't scan. You forced me to create a HP cloud account and put the printer on the wi-fi network to run HP Smart app. It shows me the ink levels then says it can't find the printer again so I tried via the touch screen.

This was the only way I was able to scan and it only worked once. I have several USB sticks so I'll try again. My old Epson worked with the Apple Image Capture software. Why did you make this so complicated? It prints fine plugged in with the cable. Fix the scanner software please. At this point I'll take a picture with my iPhone. You've wasted my time debugging your beta scanner software. Please put the Pro in OfficePro.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BanjoDarrell, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to scan from the printer to the USB drive. Let us try these steps:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

To scan an original to a memory device from the printer control panel

1. Load your original print-side down on the scanner glass or print-side up in the document feeder.

2. Insert a USB flash drive.

3. Touch Scan, and then select Memory Device.

4. Make changes to scan options, if needed.

5. Touch Start Scan.

NOTE: The printer does not support encrypted USB flash drives.

If the issue persists, try a different USB driver to check if it works fine. Yes, you may still use Apple Image capture or the HP Easy Scan app to scan. For more info on scanning, refer to - How to scan with an HP printer

To troubleshoot intermittent connectivity issues:

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.
  • Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. Open a new Terminal window (it's located in Applications > Utilities, or you can just start typing it in Spotlight).
  3. Enter “ping” followed by the IP address of the printer. 
  4. Press Return. Press Ctrl C after 10 pings
  5. There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please provide instructions for how to scan from a mac while plugged in directly to 9010 printer/scanner all-in-one?

Apple Image Capture app shows device as Shared finally was able to connect to the new scanner.

HP Smart app requires an internet connection and HP login which I provided but can't see PLUGED IN scanner.

I added my new 9010 to the wi-fi to see if that would help scanner show up.

Then tried the USB stick scan from the printer control panel which worked once then the USB went read-only on 2nd try.

1. HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 connected via USB cable to my iMac OS 11.2.3 Big Sur latest version--all updates installed

2. Brand new printers/scanner all-in-one fresh out of the box--prints great

3. Printer control panel just auto updated it's software and rebooted printer/scanner once on wi-fi

4. Link you sent to OJP9010_2103B.dmg HP Firmware Updater reports "Cannot update the device. This Firmware Updater does not contain upgrades for your device."

5. Original state: iMac plugged into Internet with printer/scanner plugged in directly with USB cable.

6. Current state: iMac and 9010 on wi-fi such that System Preferences > Printers & Scanners reports both printer & scanner available as default online named HPOfficeJetPro9010

Results: printers works fine with Apple driver. Why is the scanner software so complicated? I gave up and took a photo with my iPhone then after failed firmware update and another round of System Preferences and Image Capture got it to work.

I can't decide if you need to fix your software, documentation, or both? I think HP assumed a wi-fi connection and never tested the USB cable connection to the scanner.

HP Recommended

@BanjoDarrell

Apologies for the inconvenience. I appreciate your patience.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a brand new HP Officejet Pro 9018, and I have two scan issues--one  is scanning to email (I've never gotten that to work), and so I tried scanning using my USB drive. Using the USB drive worked on several documents, then the next day when I tried to scan a different document to my USB drive, I received a scan error message: "The memory device is read only."

My USB capacity is 15 GB; I have 14 GB remaining. I tried scanning the same document several times, but still receive the same scan error message.

What does HP recommend?

So far, I'm disappointed in my new HP printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.