Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After latest Windows 10 update (October 24, 2018—KB4462933 (OS Build 17134.376)) Scan to Computer displays the message "Scan to computer is currently unavailable"

Related symptom: The scan to computer panel on the printer does not show my system as a computer to scan to. BUT it does show my computer under the "others" selection. Selecting the computer from that list works.

The problem with this is explaining to my wife how to accomplish this task when her computer's name doesn't show up until selecting "others" and then the name is burried in a list of similarly named possibilities.

Bottom line, it works but is confusing to use and the status ("Scan to computer is currently unavailable") is wrong, misleading, and confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open the HP Officejet Pro 8620 software and click on Manage Scan to Computer.

Uncheck the bottom box to start the feature with Windows, then click the Disable button and close that dialog.

Click Manage Scan to Computer once again, check the bottom box and enable the feature, then check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open the HP Officejet Pro 8620 software and click on Manage Scan to Computer.

Uncheck the bottom box to start the feature with Windows, then click the Disable button and close that dialog.

Click Manage Scan to Computer once again, check the bottom box and enable the feature, then check for any difference.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

So far so good!

I will monitor things for a while to see how it goes.

HP Recommended

Further Question!

In thinking about your solution, I thought that scan to computer would need to be manually activated whenever windows restarts (perhaps an overnight update). Then I thought perhaps it is activated by a Windows scheduled task. It is possible to specify a dalayed start for scheduled tasks, so perhaps delaying for a minutre or two would allow things to work without needing a manual start.

Unfortunately, I could not find such a task. Do you have any ideas along these lines?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Why would it need to be manually activated?

Per my instructions, you should re-check the box to enable the feature automatically with Windows once you re-enable scan to computer.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

OK, I'll give that a try. I didn't read yout earlier post carefully enough.

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi.

Reference your instructions to fix scan to computer currently unavailable, can you give step by step instruction to this old man novice as to how to get to the manage scan to computer section of my HP Compaq computer, and HP Envy 5030 please, as in where to click for software etc.  The unavailable message is fixed by the 'Doctor' and the warning icon goes out after restart, but then appears every morning after start up from sleep mode. 

Many thanks.

John.

HP Recommended

Hi Oldman!

I am not from HP. but the original poster to this thread.

• Click on the Windows icon on the lower left of your Windows 10 screen. I believe it is called the start menu.
  • You should see an alphabetized list of applications.
  • Scroll down to HP and click on that. It should open a  two-item sub-menu 1) a picture of your printer and 2) an HP update icon. Click on the picture of your printer. That will open a window with a bunch of selections. They are grouped into categories: Print, Scan, and Fax.
  • click on Manage Scan to Computer. You should be able to follow Shlomi's instructions from there.

HINT! I have found that this problem will often fix itself after a few minute's wait.

P.S. "Scan to computer" is the feature most important to me beyond printing. It is a shame that it is so fragile and difficult to deal with.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for guiding this old dummy to a solution.  You have made a old man very happy. Cheers.

HP Recommended

That "old man" just might be me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.