Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
02-17-2023 09:49 AM
Is there any scanning software I can use with an HP 9020 series All-in-One printer that does not require signing on HP Cloud Services? Needing to use HP Cloud Services feels like an invasion of privacy.
02-17-2023 10:33 AM - edited 02-17-2023 12:08 PM
Welcome to the HP Community Forum.
Update - Add Scan software / application examples
Any cloud service, including those available using HP Smart, requires at least signing into that Cloud Storage service.
True - HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.
Yes, you can Print and Scan without using HP Smart.
Install the Full Feature Software -- and use HP Scan (part of the software).
This software is applicable / available for your printer model.
What if? Need OCR? After the full driver is installed AND If applicable to your printer model,
- Install the Universal Scan Software: HP Universal Scan - Full Feature Software and Driver
- Restart the computer and sign in
Installing the full driver printer software provides the foundation for installing and using other print / scan software and applications.
Example Scan options
HP Scan and Capture
Available from the Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher
Download-Save-Install HP Scan and Capture
HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any* HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera. These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications.
HP Scan and Capture features an adjustable screen size.
* NOTE: The correct HP print software drivers for your scanner must be installed from HP's Support Website.
Application controls / options
Windows 10 -
Settings > Apps > Apps and Features
Windows 11 -
Settings > Apps > Installed Apps
Scroll / Search for HP Scan and Capture
Left-click on the App for options associated with this app.
If available, Click Advanced for additional controls.
Example - HP Scan and Capture - Menu / First time setup - Select Device
Example - HP Scan and Capture - Menus
NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner” (Free – Donations gladly accepted by the NAPS2 organization)
- Download-Save-Install > NAPS2
- Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
- Not always simple “Plug and Play”, nonetheless, this free software is powerful and configurable.
- NAPS2 might require that the full driver printer software is installed.
- Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
- Read the Support pages for information
- Read the Getting Started guide
- Combining files? Read the Command Line Usage guide > Select Combining and Converting Files
- NAPS2 might support higher resolutions while still using the ADF
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources
Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community --
People who own, use, and support HP devices.
Click Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community