Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My scanner is not working. I am connected through USB. I have already tried everything suggested by HP Print and Scan Doctor. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device software, but it is still not working. I am very upset because it was working fine for 3 months. I went out of town for winter break and took my computer with me. I left my HP Deskjet 2540 at my apartment. Now that I am back It is no longer working.

Here are the errors Scan Doctor is giving me:

Driver Error:

The Scan driver is unable to communicate with the product.

HP Twain Scan Error:

I followed the steps it told me to but even after restarting the computer Scan Doctor is unable to fix the problem and it just told me to come here and ask online. I really need this scanner fixed as soon as possible for my class work. It is very frustrating that my HP Deskjet 2540 has broken so soon after bying it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nevermind. Fixed the problem by changing from a USB 3 connection to a USB 2 connection. For some reason the HP Deskjet 2540 Scanner cannot be used through a USB 3.0 connection.

I'm not sure why this is exactly but thats what I did and now it is working.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Nevermind. Fixed the problem by changing from a USB 3 connection to a USB 2 connection. For some reason the HP Deskjet 2540 Scanner cannot be used through a USB 3.0 connection.

I'm not sure why this is exactly but thats what I did and now it is working.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum and sharing what you did to fix the problem.

Think that the USB port that you used earlier could be defective.

We tested with a USB 3.0 port for USB connectivity to a printer and it worked fine.

Anyway, glad to hear all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I've been trying to scan a document and I keep getting message that scanner is unreachable. See screenshot. I am able to print normally. Any ideas as to how to solve my problem?

Niall

scan error.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @niallm

Thanks for using the HP forum. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

i get the same exact error message print and scan doctor cant fix it referes me to the support web site no relevant info there scan doctor thinks its a driver issue but cant fix it installed latest drivers tried over wireless and usb nothing works

btw printer working perfectly

HP Recommended

HP Scan Error.JPG

Like others I get this message. I'm connected through ethernet. Diagnostics indicate a problem with "Windows (WIA) Scan". None of the fixes listed in this forum have worked for me. Need help.

HP Recommended

It works, thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @davidyang,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.