Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I just purchased a HP DeskJet 2720e because I need to print AND scan remotely for my house.

I am able to print remotely using the printer's email address, but it just won't scan. Can anyone at HP just confirm that I can scan remotely onto my HP smart app? 

By remotely, I mean NOT on the same wifi connection than the printer. "Print from anywhere" is enabled and so is web scan.

I already had a perfectly working Photosmart which was able to "scan to email", but that had many issues working over the years. As I read that function was no longer supported, I purchased this new all-in-one hoping to fix the issue. But apparently, it didn't.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@kaptak 

Welcome to the HP Community.

What the Printer can do

Mobile Printing – Options for Printers

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

iOS_Here

HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

DeskJet 2710e All-in-One

DeskJet 2720e All-in-One

DeskJet 2721e All-in-One

DeskJet 2722e All-in-One

DeskJet 2723e All-in-One

DeskJet 2742e All-in-One

DeskJet 2752e All-in-One

DeskJet 2755e All-in-One

HP Smart app (Android, iOS)

HP Print Service Plugin (Android)

Apple AirPrint

Wi-Fi Direct

HP Print Anywhere

Samsung Print Service Plugin

Mopria Print Service (Android, Amazon Fire OS)

What to do?

Scan the content > Save it to your device (possibly into your Cloud Storage destination)

OR

Scan the content > Share it to your destination email address

Open the saved content (document / image) file

Where supported, Use Print Anywhere to print the file

What else?

Scan and save the content.

Print when you are connected to your home network.

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

HP DeskJet 2720e All-in-One Printer 

Printer and  HP+ service

Contact HP+ Support

OR

>>> Open your HP+ Printer Homepage > Concierge Help > Click Contact Us link in the Orange box

Note that Concierge assistance is only available for registered HP+ printers.

NOTE:  Where available, the Homepage website for the non HP+ model includes any missing "Category" sections not found in the HP+ printer site.  What?  The “+” and “not +” printers are the same printer – HP+ is a benefit / service.

HP+ > Benefits, Requirements, Your Responsibilities

HP+ Printing – Website / Information / FAQ

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

Step 3:  Use Print Anywhere

Open Subsection:  Private Pickup (HP+ enabled printers only)

Enable / Disable the service to hold the print job until the person who sent it is near the printer.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the app, the one I was prompted to install during the setup. Web services are enabled.

If I am not on the same wi-fi as the printer though, it won't scan or print. It says

"Feature Unavailable

This feature is not supported by the selected printer. Connect to a different printer to use this feature".

And once again, this is a HP DeskJet 2720e which supports Print Anywhere.

Please advice, or I'll just have to return the printer to Amazon, as I already had a printer which could just print and scan on site.

I'll accept anything this printer can do, scan to cloud, scan to email, as long as I am able to scan remotely.

HP Recommended

@kaptak  

You are welcome.

I doubt I can fix this for you.

So much depends on what the Print Anywhere application should be doing, what kind of mobile network connection you have (must be stable, for example).

Assuming you are not scanning,

Does the Print Anywhere mobile application work as described  in the how-to document?

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

Read all of Step 3: Use Print Anywhere

including  subsection  Share and manage Print Anywhere

Excerpted - Use Print Anywhere

Print remotely, check printer status, and make copies using your device camera when remotely connected with Print Anywhere. Use Print Anywhere features when you are away from your printer and your device is on a cellular connection or on a different wireless network. Some app features and printer settings are not available with Print Anywhere connections. Remote printer is shown in HP Smart with a green cloud icon

What to do?

If the Print Anywhere application is not working as described,

If the issue is not already addressed in the FAQ section of the how-to document,

Contact HP Support and ask for help.

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

If you have enabled HP+, contact Concierge Printer Support and ask for help.

Printer and  HP+ service

Contact HP+ Support

OR

>>> Open your HP+ Printer Homepage > Concierge Help > Click Contact Us link in the Orange box

What else?

HP Smart Mobile - assuming you are using a supported Device and Operating System / version - can Scan content (types dependent on OS)  > Share that content with Email.  Scanned Content can be also saved to a supported Cloud Storage location for printing either using Print Anywhere (if working) or when back on your home network.

Mobile / Cloud destinations can be set / added / checked using Shortcuts

Example - HP Smart - Mobile - Main Menu

HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_13HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_13

Partial Example - HP Smart - Mobile - Scan - Print, Share / Save, Shortcuts

HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_Edit_1HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_Edit_1

HP Smart Shortcuts (formally Smart Tasks) for Windows and HP Smart Mobile

Where available, Smart Tasks can be configured for several print tasks.

• Print: Send a print job to your printer.
  • Email: Send an email message or attachments.
  • Save to: Save a file to a cloud storage account, such as Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive.

HP Printers - HP Smart: Use Shortcuts

Finally,

True - if the printer cannot perform the tasks required of it,

you might need to consider returning it.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

You may print remotely through the cloud using HP Print Anywhere, scanning can only be done from the printer when connected to the same local network, not from a remote location:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1582257-1299980-16

When not connected to the same network, you may scan using your mobile device camera by selecting Camera Scan. scanning from a scanner to a remote location is not supported, any such cloud service as you describe is not something offered for any HP printer.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Thanks for the rewording and the correction.

Camera scan is somewhat useful in context - I tend to get mixed results.

For example, the lighting has to be "just right".

I do have a very nice camera scan of a peanut on a desk that I've used for tests.  Smiling.

@kaptak 

Example - HP Smart - Mobile (iOS) - Scan Source selection

HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_PDF-Image_Options_5HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_PDF-Image_Options_5

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, Photosmart 5520 has a "scan to email" function. Which worked quite randomly - this is why I resorted to purchasing a new printer, because I thought the model/service was obsolete therefore wasn't working as it should (I had to deactivate/reactivate web services every time for it to work just once).

If I could scan to email on my new printer without any issue, that'd be exactly what I'm looking for.

HP Recommended

@kaptak 

Sure - understood.

Deskjet printers are moderately appointed home-use printers that include some of the features found in the top-of-line OfficeJet Pro series.

Scan to Email and other related services that support Digital Send are available on some higher end machines.  This price-point is also where you will find the two-sided scan (some with single pass) features and two-sided copy, Ethernet connection (fast and stable), support for paper types and sizes, and other "office" type services.

Example - 

Datasheet HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 All-in-One Printer 

Excerpted

Digital sending standard features
Scan-to E-mail; Scan to network folder; Scan to SharePoint; Scan to thumb drive

Printers are one of the items where you get what you pay for.

Lower end machines concentrate features most desired by "casual users".

Higher end machines add features and support necessary in a more professional setting.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

As you say you used Scan to Email, meaning you are at the same location of the printer.

By remotely, we would assume a remote location but I would guess that both are located on the same location and connected to the same local wireless network?

Assuming this is correct, you may scan using the HP Smart app on your mobile device, as long as your mobile device and the printer are connected to the local wireless network:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2275901-2074064-16

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.