Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I followed up to these steps where the prompts differed from your instructions:

3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings. [there is no option to "Enable" are anything close]
4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
5) Click Manual IP [there is no Manual IP option]

HP Recommended

I am watching this thread closely to see if your issue has been solved yet since I am having the same issue.  Wireless printing works but scanning no longer does even though it had previously worked before, just a couple of months ago. 

I keep getting the error message at my printer console when trying to scan from the printer to my laptop, it says:  "Connection Error  Cannot connect to [redacted Scan folder]  Make sure the remote computer is turned on."

My remote computer is turned on and there have not been any changes to my scan location or to my IP address.  Updating the driver did not help.  I did do some kind of Windows 10 update in the interim, in October.  The other computer in the house on the network has no trouble receiving a scan wirelessly from the printer, only mine (I am on Windows 10 and the other computer is on Linux).  In my case, disabling the firewall does not allow detection of my wireless location, so that workaround is not available to me.

Is your problem solved yet?  I don't mean to threadjack but it sounds like we may be having a related problem.  Only scanning from the printer to the laptop is affected.  Printing is functional, and it is done wirelessly.

P.S.  I have already uploaded and run HP Print Doctor and followed all steps in it.  I was able to create a new wireless connection.  But this was no help because I continue to get the same error message noted above and the test of the connection fails immediately.

HP Recommended

No response yet so not resolved

HP Recommended

I'm having the same/similar problem. I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue.

HP Recommended

Have you found any workaround so far?  I have been completely stopped cold with respect to network scanning although I have verified that my local service Windows Image Acquisition is active and running, not disabled.  Nothing on the home end has changed regarding the home network:  the IP address is the same, the computer name is the same.  This had been working some time prior to the latest Windows 10 update in October and now it fails to network scan on Windows 10 but still does network scan on Linux, which is the other machine on the network.  Setting up a fresh folder for scanned data has not helped.  If it is a driver, I wonder about that because we have updated to the latest driver and still network scanning is blocked to the Windows 10 machine but comes through on the Linux machine.

Of interest, I can scan from the printer to email and send the email.  But no matter what I try so far I cannot restore the ability to network scan from the printer directly into a computer folder without the intermediary step of emailing.  I wonder if it is a funky interaction between the latest Windows 10 and HP software.  HP, are you out there?  What else can be tried?

HP Recommended

xraymd:  we have the same problem. My HP laptop has Windows 10, the laptop can print wirelessly to the printer and the printer can email a scan wirelessly, however it cannot scan to the HP laptop unless I first disable my firewall.  Once I disable the firewall, scanning to the laptop works however this is a tedious step and it is likely I might forget to turn the firewall back on which would be a bigger problem.  I've tried the many steps HP Support has recommended but to no avail.

HP Recommended

FYI  attached is the error message I receive on my laptop.  It suggests that the issue is the firewall software.  What is interesting to me is that scanning wirelessley with this HP printer and HP laptop has worked for over a year and to my knowledge the security software (Bitdefender) has not been updated.  I did reinstall the HP printer drivers as directed but that didn't seem to make any difference. error messageerror message

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response and your experience!  I think you are a step ahead of me because I am still not able to network scan from the printer to the computer by disabling my firewall.  I definitely tried that step along with all the other recommended steps and I continue to get the error message that says:  "Connection Error  Cannot connect to [scan folder redacted]  Make sure the remote computer is turned on"

This exclusively affects printer scanning over the network to a folder on my Windows 10 laptop which is absolutely turned on and the printer easily network scans to our Linux laptop on the same network.  I am able to email scan to my computer and I am able to print to my computer.  I simply cannot any longer network scan to my computer and not one of the recommended steps HP has suggested has fixed this.  Nor has the HP Doctor program fixed it.  When I ran the HP Doctor program, it actually said it detected and fixed a problem with my printer - but I surely cannot say what it detected and fixed since trying the test scan it recommended to try immediately failed.

I fear I am dead in the water unless HP comes up with more intelligence about any kind of interaction between the current Windows 10 version and any driver software or any firmware issue with scanning with my printer.  For you, at least you can be seen again if you disable your firewall (not that you want to!).  For me, I can't be seen again no matter what I have tried so far and I am fresh out of ideas.  Again, I ask for HP to please come help us both some more!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.