Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
laserjet m281fdw

I have been through the wizzard too many times to set up the outgoing scan to email address but it never manages to contact the gmail server.

using:

smtp.gmail.com

port 587 or 465

using name@gmail.com

and an application password generated by google account

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mike_NZ

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. I'm here to help.

Updating the printer firmware, assigning a manual IP and Google DNS for the printer and then re-configuring the outgoing email profile may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure the printer is up-to-date with its firmware. If you are unsure, you can download and install the latest firmware update from here.

Once you are up-to-date with the firmware, please set a manual IP address and manual DNS servers for the printer. The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server.

Once you assign a manual IP and Google DNS for the printer, use the Gmail's Default SMTP Settings listed below to reconfigure the outgoing email profile:

• Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
  • Gmail SMTP username: Your Gmail address (e.g. example@gmail.com)
  • Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
  • Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
  • Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465
  • Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

Let me know how it goes!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it still says " Cannot connect to the SMTP server. Try a different port. e.g. 25, 587, 465"

The set up an outgoing email profile page does not allow for more than one port to be listed ie TLS &  SSL so i think thats one issue, possibly the firewall is implicated also

I have spent too much time retrying each port so will probably abandon this in favour of the HP Smart app which seems to work fine via a mobile device. Maybe the web mgt interface is due for a major overhaul?

thanks

MIke

HP Recommended

@mike_NZ

Thanks for the response.

I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.