Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
deskjet 5820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to reinstall the printer software, but I cannot. I keep getting an error that DIFxAPI.dll is not installed. I have lost the shortcut for scanning and printer options.

Printer works fine, but cannot access any functions.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@jacksresort

Greetings!

Welcome back to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the "DIFxAPI.dll is not installed" while uninstalling the printer driver.

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Download and run the Microsoft Troubleshooter to uninstall the software.

Restart the computer. Download and install the printer driver from this link.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Microsoft. Trouble Shooter allowed the program to be removed, but upon reinstall I still do not get the desktop icon that allows me to access the scanner and cleaning options. I have removed everything that says HP several times, but still no luck.

HP Recommended

@jacksresort

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Please try these steps to create a scan shortcut icon -

Click on the "Windows Explorer" icon and then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Deskjet 5820\bin

Right click on HPScan.exe and select Send To > Desktop.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Looking in the bin, there is no scan exe. The only applications are for customer participation.

HP Recommended

@jacksresort

Thanks for trying. Please try re-installing the printer driver from the root level -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No joy

When I tried to remove using printseri, it gives me an error that the driver is in use. And unable to remove.

HP Recommended

I was finally able to get the driver removed, reinstalled the software, but the scanner still does not appear. Looked in bin, still no luck.

Upon the original install it gave me a tool box that included scanner and cleaning options, that in nowhere to be found 

HP Recommended

@jacksresort

Thanks for trying. Did you install the full-feature printer driver? Can you send us a picture of the screen after you open the printer software? 

Also, create a new user account and install the printer driver to see if that works -

1) Tap the Windows icon.
2) Select Settings.
3) Tap Accounts.
4) Select Family & other users.
5) Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6) Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7) Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8) Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9) Tap the Windows icon.
10) Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11) Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hp.jpgI started a new user with no luck, results are the same. I have delanted the printer from the control panelprinters, also in device manager bot in printers and imaging devices. I run the printnt doctor, and it tells me that I do not have "full featured software installed" it the downloads the software again, and the results are the same.

I installed he printer on another computer with no problems,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.