Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
C410
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hello all,

I have a new C410 up and running with HP Easy Scan installed.

I am NOT able to print - or scan - from the bed. All works well with the document Feeder and the Document

Feeder switch, activated by the small hanging arm, senses the loaded paper correctly and I have used that function.

I want to be able to print, or scan using the bed. as well as the Document Feeder.

It is prompting me to load the Document Feeder & I want to go 'old school' every now and then.

Is there some default setting that controls this ? My search has not produced any results.

Thanks for the help.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi David,

The HP Easy Scan settings only refer to scanning, meaning only to the input sources for scanning an original and not to any printing related task.

For scanning you may either use the Flatbed Glass or the Automtic Document feeder.

Choosing ADF will allways use the top documet feeder, will prompt for an error when there is no page loaded,

Choosing Flatbed Glass will allways use the scanner glass, regardless if a page was loaded to the top ADF or not.

By selecting Automatic the scan will only be done from the ADF once an original was loaded to the top feeder (which ten shows an 'Original Loaded' prompt on the printer screen), or will use the glass once there is no document loaded at the top feeder.

I was thinking that IF the APF function was not activated by the APF 'sensing switch' then the scanner would default to the Flatbed scanning function. It appears that my 'thinking' in this regard was not accurate - yes ?

The information above is correct  once the Source is set as automatic, for any other Source selection the sensor won't apply.

It do not refer to any paper feed or tray while printing, those are settings to be done from a print dialog only.

Hope I was fully clear with your intention, otherwise please let me know.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you perform a copy from the Flatbed glass or do you see a similar behavior?

May you see "Original Loaded" listed even when there is no document loaded into the ADF?

HP Recommended

It does COPY fine from the Flatbed Galss using the control on the printer.

It is the single page SCAN function that is giving me difficulity.

David

HP Recommended

When I select SCAN using the HP Easy Scan on my dsktop I am given a message that the Document Feeder is EMPTY

after what appeas as a attempt to scan.

David 

HP Recommended

Hi David ,

From HP Easy Scan, click the top Presets menu and then Edit Settings.

Set the type as Document, then ensure the source is set as Automatic or Flatbed.

Click the top Gear icon and select Save As, select any name and press Done.

Now try scanning and check for any difference.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Shlomi,

Thank you.  I had to make 2 PRESET(s), one titled Automatic to use the Automatic Paper Feed Tray and a 2nd

(preset) titled  Flatbed for the . . . flatbed scanning.

I was thinking that IF the APF function was not activated by the APF 'sensing switch' then the scanner would default to the Flatbed scanning function. It appears that my 'thinking' in this regard was not accurate - yes ?

As I now have it set up I have to manually select/choose the Automatic OR Flatbed PRESET based on what I want to scan.

Do you know of a setting that would sense the APF, when documents are loaded into the tray, and scan accordingly

and DEFAULT to the Flatbed function when the APF tray is empty ?

Perhaps I am asking a wee bit too much.

Again - thank you for your information & instructions.

David

HP Recommended

Hi David,

The HP Easy Scan settings only refer to scanning, meaning only to the input sources for scanning an original and not to any printing related task.

For scanning you may either use the Flatbed Glass or the Automtic Document feeder.

Choosing ADF will allways use the top documet feeder, will prompt for an error when there is no page loaded,

Choosing Flatbed Glass will allways use the scanner glass, regardless if a page was loaded to the top ADF or not.

By selecting Automatic the scan will only be done from the ADF once an original was loaded to the top feeder (which ten shows an 'Original Loaded' prompt on the printer screen), or will use the glass once there is no document loaded at the top feeder.

The information above is correct  once the Source is set as automatic, for any other Source selection the sensor won't apply.

It do not refer to any paper feed or tray while printing, those are settings to be done from a print dialog only.

Hope I was fully clear with your intention, otherwise please let me know.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I am trying the same on the OfficejET 6954 printer and it is not working. See the images for more clarity. Even with the flatbed setting I am still getting the same error that the ADF has no paper. Can you please help?Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 9.21.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-29 at 9.22.21 PM.png

HP Recommended

Ronaktam, I have an OfficeJet 6978 with the exact same issue, as your last post, and it started within the last month.  I've tried every suggestion I can find, but the scanner wants to be fed from the ADF all the time.  Have you found a solution yet?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Every  Time I try to scan a document from either the computer or the printer it looks at the automatic document feeder and says no document is loaded. This has just started in the last month. Even when I set the settings to print from the flatbed, it always goes to the automatic document feeder. Help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.