Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Greetings,

I am in a MAC OS X Server environment. We purchased a HP Z840 (Windows 10 pro) to utilize the HP RGS Mac receiver to access the HP by multi Mac users. 

I tried to connect via IP address from a MAC pro El Capitan 10.11 Mac OS and since we dont need any domain name to login throught out our Mac OS X Network I wonder what should be the proper login to connect to HP RGS. 

Also are there any settings I need to turn on from the HP Workstation (Remote services etc...)?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kal

RGS Receiver and Sender 7.3.2 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There are three types of authentication with RGS.  Here is documentation from the User Guide.

Authentication methods

There are three different authentication methods available for an RGS connection:

Standard authentication—supported for RGS Sender on Windows and Linux.

Easy Login—supported for RGS Sender on Windows and Linux.

Single Sign-on—supported for RGS Sender on Windows only.

On Windows, the authentication method is selected during installation of RGS Sender and can be changed later using the RGS Sender Configuration tool (see Using the RGS Sender Configuration tool on page 57). Smart card redirection is supported for standard authentication and Easy Login (see Using smart card redirection (Windows only) on page 30).

On Linux, Easy Login can be enabled during installation and disabled using an RGS Sender property (see Other global properties on page 64).

Standard authentication

Standard authentication is the process by which a local user attempts to connect to a sender that has neither Single Sign-on nor Easy Login enabled.

In normal operation, users are required to authenticate twice when establishing an RGS connection from a receiver to a sender. The two steps are as follows:

The first authentication step is from RGS Receiver to RGS Sender. The dialog for this authentication step is generated and displayed by RGS Receiver on the receiver.

The second authentication step is when logging in to or unlocking the sender desktop session. The login or unlock dialog is generated by the sender and is displayed in the RGS Receiver window on the receiver.

NOTE: If another user is already logged in to the sender, the second authentication step does not take place. Instead, the currently logged-in user receives an authorization prompt to allow or deny the new user access to join the existing desktop session (see Collaboration on page 31 for more information).

Easy Login

If you use Easy Login, the first authentication step (RGS authentication) is skipped.

NOTE: At the login screen, you might see an additional user account named HP RGS ELO. Do not use this account to log in. Use your normal user account.

NOTE: There are several issues that can prevent an Easy Login authentication. The Diagnostics panel of the RGS Sender Configuration tool can help troubleshoot these issues. See Using the RGS Sender Configuration tool on page 57 for more details.

Single Sign-on

If you use Single Sign-on, the second authentication step (Windows authentication) is skipped.

NOTE: Single Sign-on does not support smart card or ActivKey authentication.

NOTE: If you lock the desktop, you might see an additional user account named HP RGS SSO. Do not use this account to log in. Use your normal user account.

Authentication

Also, in the Receiver Settings, under Connection, you can check the box to prompt for user name and password.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Apparently you missed my point! too much info for nothing.

I am not looking into authenticating from a Windows based computer. But from a Apple Mac Pro with Mac OS 10.11+ since I use the RGS Mac receiver 

HP Recommended

I am hoping this further information will help you.  In the user guide, a lot of the information is generic for Windows, Linux, and Mac.  Also wanted to let you know that we just released RGS 7.3.3 to the web.

Connecting using an IP address is perfectly fine. You can also connect using a fully qualified domain name, if your Mac machine can locate that.

The login that should be used with RGS is the login of the HP Z840 workstation, including any domain name that the user might be part of on that machine.

For example, my Mac receiver is not on a domain, and my Z620 workstation is on a domain called RGSTEST. I log in to my Mac prior to launching RGS with a username just called “jane”. Then I start an RGS connection with my Z620 and provide the username “RGSTEST\doe”, and my password for that account.

Troubleshooting on the Receiver side:

Receiver checklist

Use the following checklist to troubleshoot failed connection attempts from the receiver side:

Verify that you are entering the correct hostname or IP address for the sender.

If you changed the port that RGS Sender listens on from its default of 42966, you must specify the port number along with the hostname or IP address like in the following examples:

MyHostName:12345

192.168.0.10:12345

Verify that the receiver is on the same network as the sender.

Verify that the receiver can ping the sender.

If the receiver is behind a firewall, verify that the firewall supports network address translation (NAT).

Troubleshooting on the Sender side:

Sender checklist

Use the following checklist to troubleshoot failed connection attempts from the sender side:

NOTE: After going through this checklist, make sure you log out of the sender before attempting an RGS connection again.

Verify the credentials for the user account you are trying to access from the receiver. The account password cannot be blank.

Verify that RGS Sender has started on the sender (see RGS Sender overview on page 24 for more information).

Verify that all tests pass on the Diagnostics panel of the RGS Sender Configuration tool.

If the sender is behind a firewall, verify that the firewall supports network address translation (NAT) and port forwarding.

If you changed the network interface binding of RGS Sender from its default of listening to all network interfaces, verify that the sender is listening on the correct network interface (see Sender network interface binding on page 71 for more information).

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I was able to make it worked by changing the privacy policies  of th eWindows 10 Creator by:

1.  Making the PC discoverable
  2. Shared with everyone nearby any apps

I had to connect from a Mac with a Domain Admin account though. 

Do I need to login with my users account first on the HP so th elogin name will be known?

HP Recommended

I believe there was a misunderstanding of my environment setup:

I am in an all mac system/platform and we got an HP Z840 on windows 10 Pro.

I was able to make the HP discoverable and comnnect via IP address from a MAC Pro but only with a Mac Domain account. I am not able to login with a classic user name with no admin priviledges.

any thoughts?

Thank you.

Kal

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.