Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Remote Graphics Software
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, i am trying to connect a remote laptop (macbook pro using osx sierra) to my work computer (hpz840 running win10 64bit) over the internet (wan) using hp rgs and vpn.

over lan i can connect fine, and it has been said over the forum and the user manual that it is possibe using wan and vpn but can some please detail step by step how as there are no instructions. it would seem this is something most people would want to know how to do but i can find no info on this. 

many thanks for your time and consideration. 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

What VPN are you using?   It could be that the VPN is blocking the sender port (42966).  Verify that is not getting blocked via the VPN.   If you have HP Velocity enabled on your Z840 sender, uncheck it.  HP Velocity and VPNs do not work well together. This is being worked on.  To disable on the sender, in the folder where RGS is installed (Program Files (x86)>Hewlett Packard> Remote Graphics Sender, launch senderConfigApp.exe.  There is a tab called HP Velocity.  Uncheck it.  Restart the Sender service or reboot your sender.  Then try the connection again.  Attached is the RGS 7.3.3 User Guide.  Please review the Troubleshooting section for Failed Connections.  Please let me know if  you still cannot connect. 

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Forgot to attach the User Guide.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Isn´t Velocity like a WAN accelerator ? Thought that was something you wanted when running over internet/vpn? 

HP Recommended

i still cannot connect remotely, and the the issue seems to be much more complicated than i thought so if anyone can simplify that would be appreciated. 

- it seems you cannot just connect via a vpn you have to host or tunnel a vpn 

- then you need a program that will connect to your hosted vpn 

- then you can try and connect via rgs

turning on/off velocity is not a selectable option on the mac receiver side. 

ive been still trying to set up my own vpn with new routers and various services but to no luck

HP Recommended

Hello, HP Velocity is not on the MAC receiver.  However, are you able to make an RGS connection without a VPN in the mix?  One thing to check is make sure that the sender is listening on Port 42966, and that it is not being blocked.  I have seen in one place that somehow the port got changed.  If you have any firewalls up, RGS has difficulty with that as well.  Will reach out to you for more info directly. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Velocity helps with network bottlenecks, latency, but we have found with a lot of different VPNs, it is causing issues.  We are currently working on changing the behavior of Velocity with VPNs.  The workaround has been to uncheck HP Velocity from the Receiver GUI under the Performance tab.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

thank you, i can connect fine over the same local network. 

what i really need to do is be able to operate my work computer from a remote location using a laptop which is one of the reasons i invested in the hpz/rgs. 

any help is appreciated - r

HP Recommended

As discussed, here is RGS 7.4.0 release notes and User Guide. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Did you ever get this to work from your mac and not on the local network.  If so im curious how you did so.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.