Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

i want to upgrade the BIOS of my HP 850 G1 Notebooks in my SCCM 2012 R2  Task Sequence. Please dont bother the SCCM Stuff, this post is about the Tool HPBIOSUPDREC.exe and Windows PE 5.0 x64

I tryed to use the following command:  HPBIOSUPDREC.exe -s -fL71_0121.bin -a

However when i execute this command or HPBIOSUPDREC.exe without parameters i get the following Error Message:

original in German: "das zum unterstützen des abbildtyps erforderliche subsystem ist nicht vorhanden."

in English: "the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"

I tryed to boot in legacy mode and UEFI native mode, but the error still showed up.

The old BIOS Flash tool HPQFlash was working fine. Is HPBIOSUPDREC.exe not yet supported in WinPE 5.0?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The SoftPaq for the 850 G1 is missing the 64 bit version of BIOSUPDREC64.exe.

The BIOS update for a Probook 650 G1 contains both the native 32 bit version ( BIOSUPDREC.exe ) and the native 64 bit version ( BIOSUPDREC64.exe ).

Download the latest BIOS update for the 650 G1.  It is currently SoftPaq sp67772.

To extract the contents, run the command

sp67772.exe -e

This will extract the contents but will not actually attempt to install the BIOS.

The contents will be located in the directory

C:\SWSETUP\sp67772

This directory will contain both utility versions, allowing you to install the 850 G1 BIOS using the 64 bit version of WinPVT 64.

Here is a link to the ProBook 650 G1 Support page

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What cab files have you added to your WinPE  boot.WIM file?

Be certain to add the following cab files to the boot.WIM image.

WinPE-WMI.cab
        WinPE-WMI_en-us.cab               ( language cab, you may need a different language )

If this does not solve the issue, post back again.

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

HP Recommended

Edited / Corrected -

The version of HPBIOSUPDREC.exe you are using is a 32 bit version.

It works on the full OS because of Windows On Windows support ( WoW ) which allows native 32 bit apps to run on the 64 bit OS.

You will need to add WoW to the WinPE boot.WIM file or move to a 32 bit version of WinPE to run this.

I am trying to locate a current version of the native 64 bit BIOSUPDREC64.exe app that would allow you to run with the WinPE you already have.

If I can locate one, I will post the information here.

Thanks,

Richard

HP Recommended

The SoftPaq for the 850 G1 is missing the 64 bit version of BIOSUPDREC64.exe.

The BIOS update for a Probook 650 G1 contains both the native 32 bit version ( BIOSUPDREC.exe ) and the native 64 bit version ( BIOSUPDREC64.exe ).

Download the latest BIOS update for the 650 G1.  It is currently SoftPaq sp67772.

To extract the contents, run the command

sp67772.exe -e

This will extract the contents but will not actually attempt to install the BIOS.

The contents will be located in the directory

C:\SWSETUP\sp67772

This directory will contain both utility versions, allowing you to install the 850 G1 BIOS using the 64 bit version of WinPVT 64.

Here is a link to the ProBook 650 G1 Support page

Richard

HP Recommended

Hello Richard,

thank your for your reply. I had that in mind when i extracted the SP from the 850 G1 Model but havent gone any further in research.

The BIOSUPDREC64.exe is working fine and it seems its also compatible with other newer NB Models.

The hidden Switch -r should prevent automatic reboot during the Tasksequence. HP should document this in the Help.

/t5/HP-PC-Client-Management/BIOS-flash-utlities-command-line-syntax/td-p/6512566

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.