Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
z440 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have quite a few workstations in our RGS pool and I need to change settings here and there. Right now I have to turn off Velocity because 70 percent of our folks use VPN. I'm told from another forum post Velocity and VPN don't mix.

Is there a way to remotely switch Velocity off via psexec, a Regedit or maybe with powershell?

Sender and receiver are both the new 7.4 version x86.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hope this will help with HP Velocity: 

If you can launch the receiver remotely via command line, you can change properties as command line arguments. For example:

rgreceiver.exe -Rgreceiver.Network.HPVelocity.Enabled=0

Running this command will disable Velocity, overriding what’s been set in the config file or registry.

Let me know.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can disable Velocity via the config file but let me check the regedit option.  We are in the process of making Velocity work better with VPNs.  Some customer have been successful with Velocity and VPN if they can get their VPNs to accept UDP traffic.  What we were seeing is that while the connection starts in TCP, at some point during the connection, it turns to UDP, and then we get a disconnect.  Solving the issue for a workaround is to turn off Velocity which is enabled by default.   Get back to  you shortly on what I find in regedit.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

We have noticed a similar occorrence. It seems to happen when the network is poor. When we test our connections in NAFTA on Pulse Secure it works.......o.k.   When we test from APAC, Mexico and some locations in Canada (the more hops the worse) it seems to fail routinely. Since disabling velocity we have had success from APAC. I'll take a look at the config file. if it's modifiable with a text editor I can leverage powershell to modify them all immediately.

HP Recommended

Looking at the configuration file I can see there are a lot of options for troubleshooting. I'd like to unlock some of these.

Q1. If I remove the hash from the tracing  options are the logs appended to the current RGS log that already exists?

Q2. Does the Receiver need to be configured in any manner when the Sender's config file is changed to include logging?

(see below config file on our Z440 sender) currently everything is commented out.

# Network Tracing
# 0 = no network tracing
# 1 = trace connection establishment and closure
# 2 = like 1, but more detailed                                      (I'd like to see results on this one)
# 3 = like 2, but also trace data transfer
#Ice.Trace.Network=0

# Protocol Tracing
# 0 = no protocol tracing
# 1 = trace protocol messages                                    (I'd like to see results on this one too)
#Ice.Trace.Protocol=0

# TCP send/receive buffer sizes (Ice 3.2.1 or greater)
#Ice.TCP.SndSize=524288
#Ice.TCP.RcvSize=524288

# Configure Live UDP plugin
#Ice.Plugin.IceLive=IceLive:createIceLive
#IceLive.VerifyPeer=0

# Available cipher suites
#IceLive.Ciphers=ADH:!3DES
#IceSSL.Ciphers=ADH:!3DES

# Configure the max transmission unit(MTU) for HP Velocity
# This property should be configured to match the MTU of your network.
# 1500 should work for most networks. If using a VPN results in bad performance
# a value of 1397 is recommended. This value should match on both receiver
# and sender.
#IceLive.livessl.liveUDP.mtu=1500

HP Recommended

You can modify those properties by removing the #.  You should see that new information that you are requesting in the log files.  Make sure you restart sender/receiver after saving.  The "config" file is different from the rgsenderconfig or the rgreceiverconfig file.  HP Velocity can be modified in these files.  There is also a tool packaged with RGS called RGSbugreport.  I am attaching the documentation.    This is a tool that we now have customer's run when we are trying to troubleshoot.  It does provide us with much more information.  The tool creates a text output.  This report also grabs the logs as well.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hope this will help with HP Velocity: 

If you can launch the receiver remotely via command line, you can change properties as command line arguments. For example:

rgreceiver.exe -Rgreceiver.Network.HPVelocity.Enabled=0

Running this command will disable Velocity, overriding what’s been set in the config file or registry.

Let me know.

I am an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.