Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6370t Core i-5
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Healthcheck continues ‘running’ after “stopping” in services under system configuration. Secondarily, I have disabled HP Healthcheck under ‘services’, then rebooting.

At unforeseen times, HP Healthcheck pops up and starts or begins a ‘system check’. Using Chrome as a browser; latest version (Version 72.0.3626.81). Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601, x64-based PC, Intel Core i5 CPU.

Can any explain or provide any insight as to why HP Health check “pops” up at various times without any warning? Any and all replies are very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Synoptic12 

You are welcome.

Ignore unwanted or "repeat" suggestions.  Some of the following is copied from notes and may include repeats or extra information.

The Health Check software is the previous version of the HP Support Assistant.  I would guess that name HP Support Assistant has been around since Windows 7.  It has been a lot of years since I used Vista and nearly that long since I have had Windows 7 running.  

HP Health Check can be uninstalled just like any other software.  

The companion software (if it was installed with the old Health Check software) is the HP Support Solutions Software.  It, too, can be uninstalled after the "Health Check" or the " Hp Support Assistant" software is uninstalled (and the computer has been restarted).

You may, of course, keep your software on the computer - your computer, your rules.

HPSF (HP Support Framework) is the name given the software components by HP.  I cannot provide any particular insight to the why - I would guess that the name(s) are part of the history of the software or hung around as a result of the code writing process.

Deleting the software from Programs / Programs (x86) will just break it and might result in annoying error messages.

To remove:

Uninstall the HP Support Assistant (or the older "HP Health Check") from Programs and Features.

Restart the computer and log in.

Uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework from Programs and Features.

Restart the computer and log in,

If you want to then install a new copy of the HPSA, you can do so.  Framework installs with HPSA.

Details:

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide how to proceed.

Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete" cleanup of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:

• When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

• HP Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA. If you intend to uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework (from Programs and Features), FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant and Restart the computer.  Uninstall Framework software from Programs and Features. Restart the computer and log in.  NOTE: Framework (re)installs with the HPSA.

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Windows 8 through Windows 10 - Alternative path to the software

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click and uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Synoptic12 

HP updates were available for your computer some time in 2010.

This is apparently old Vista software.

HP Notebook PCs - HP Health Check Frequently Asked Questions

If you are not using the software for anything else, consider uninstalling the HP Health check from your computer.

and / or

If the software is in your Startup program list, remove it.

I believe the HP Support Assistant will run on your older Windows 7 system.  In general, you want to disable (or set to Notify) the software checks (there are no HP Updates for your computer).  The software might provide other limited benefits.

Neither software is mandatory.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator

Windows 8 and above:  After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Help for HPSA

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion p6370t CTO Desktop PC

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I specifically made mention that I “stopped” HP Healthcheck from “startup”. I do not believe that you can remove HP Healthcheck in System Configuration. However, I can “delete” HP Healthcheck from ‘Services’ which I have disabled, rather than “deleting”. I’d rather not delete ‘HPSF’ due to it being an ‘application’.

HP Support Assistant’s certificate “expired in April of 2010, therefore the software should not work upon disabling. Even though the HPSA opens at odd times, ‘never knowing when’, I’d rather leave the application intact to avoid any unforeseen issues. My PC is up to date with all drivers, including Windows 7.

HP Support Assistant is ‘titled’ HPSF in Program Files (x86) in folder location. Could you provide any insight as to why the HP Support Assistant is ‘labeled’ “HPSF” (Application) in folder location? If this is one of the same, “Can I safely “delete” ‘HPSF’ with ‘no’ adverse affects’?

I believe you may be correct on HP Support Assistant being an ‘old vista software’. Irrespective on the above, I very much appreciate the courtesy you have provided. A reply to the above questions is truly appreciated. Thank you very much for the support you have provided.

HP Recommended

@Synoptic12 

You are welcome.

Ignore unwanted or "repeat" suggestions.  Some of the following is copied from notes and may include repeats or extra information.

The Health Check software is the previous version of the HP Support Assistant.  I would guess that name HP Support Assistant has been around since Windows 7.  It has been a lot of years since I used Vista and nearly that long since I have had Windows 7 running.  

HP Health Check can be uninstalled just like any other software.  

The companion software (if it was installed with the old Health Check software) is the HP Support Solutions Software.  It, too, can be uninstalled after the "Health Check" or the " Hp Support Assistant" software is uninstalled (and the computer has been restarted).

You may, of course, keep your software on the computer - your computer, your rules.

HPSF (HP Support Framework) is the name given the software components by HP.  I cannot provide any particular insight to the why - I would guess that the name(s) are part of the history of the software or hung around as a result of the code writing process.

Deleting the software from Programs / Programs (x86) will just break it and might result in annoying error messages.

To remove:

Uninstall the HP Support Assistant (or the older "HP Health Check") from Programs and Features.

Restart the computer and log in.

Uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework from Programs and Features.

Restart the computer and log in,

If you want to then install a new copy of the HPSA, you can do so.  Framework installs with HPSA.

Details:

Procedure Details - HP Support Assistant – Remove and Install

Read sections, then decide how to proceed.

Remove the existing version of HPSA

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES

For "complete" cleanup of the old version of the HP Support Assistant:

• When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

• HP Solutions Framework is a subset of HPSA. If you intend to uninstall the HP Support Solutions Framework (from Programs and Features), FIRST uninstall the HP Support Assistant and Restart the computer.  Uninstall Framework software from Programs and Features. Restart the computer and log in.  NOTE: Framework (re)installs with the HPSA.

• After the software is uninstalled (and the computer is Restarted), check to ensure the software is actually “gone”.

Windows 8 through Windows 10 - Alternative path to the software

Settings > Apps > Apps & features >

Scroll down the list, look for HP Support Assistant (and / or HP Support Solutions Framework)

If the stubborn software is found in the list, click and uninstall it, Restart and log in.

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Help for HPSA

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, most appreciated. Seeing that everything is running well, I'll just leave it rather than receive annoyance messages. it is a small price to pay to avoid any future problems. I very much appreciate the support you have provided.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.