Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
F4X38EA#ABU
Android 4.4 KitKat

Hey guys

I have an HP Slate 10 HD tablet running on Android 4.2.2 KitKat. It used to work just fine in the previous times but recently it has become so. Both system and third party apps started crashing frequently so I uninstalled a lot of third party apps wondering it would make the device faster as more RAM would be freed, but it didn't. Then a new problem appeared. The navigation bar and status bar started to disappear and come back. Then when I used to open camera app it used to display Could not connect to Camera. Nowadays the Settings crashes showing Unfortunately com.settings.android has stopped. So I decided to factory reset it. I clicked Reset Tablet from Backup and Restore option of settings. But it shuts down the tablet and while restarting, it gets stuck on boot with HP logo. I tried waiting for several hours but it didn't do anything further. So I manually restarted the tablet and found the factory reset didn't happen. Repeating the process causes same result. So I tried to reset it by going into recovery mode using the required combination but it never enters recovery mood, just gets stuck on boot. So I tried to reset it using ADB and enabled Developer Mode. Then I entered the following codes

adb devices
adb shell

ADB recognised the device. Then I entered

recovery --wipe_data

But It displays Device not found but it's already recognised. So I entered

adb reboot recovery

But it displays Recovery not found

I also tried to get the tablet into Fastboot mode but despite doing the required combination, the Fastboot mode doesn't appear. I didn't Root my device so there is no way for the recovery file to be damaged. I need to factory reset it so please somehow help me how I can do this.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Rakib0

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Slate 10 HD 3609ea Tablet. I read that the tablet was working slowly. You have tried to reset the tablet and it failed. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I would like to know if you have tried the option "apply update from external storage"?

• With the tablet powered off, press and hold the volume up (+) button and power button at the same time.

Figure : Tablet power and volume up buttons

Back view of tablet with the power and volume up buttons highlighted

• When an HP logo displays on the screen, release the buttons.

• When the Android system recovery menu displays, use the volume down (-) button to highlight Wipe data/factory reset.

NOTE: The touch screen is disabled when the tablet is in recovery mode. Use the volume up (+) and volume down (-) buttons to navigate up or down in the recovery menu. Use the power button to make a selection.

Figure : Wipe data/factory reset

Wipe data/factory reset highlighted in Android system recovery menu

• Press the power button to select.

• The screen displays Confirm wipe of all user data? THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE. Use the volume down (-) button to highlight Yes -- delete all user data.

Figure : Confirm wipe of all user data

Confirm wipe of all user data

• Press the power button to confirm and begin the reset.

• A recovery system screen shows the reset process. Wait for the reset process to complete.

• When the screen displays the message Data wipe complete, highlight Reboot system now, and then press the power button to select.

Figure : Reboot system now

Reboot system now

• Wait for the tablet to reboot.

• The factory reset is complete. Set up the tablet by following the steps in the HP support document Setting Up Your HP Tablet.

The Android OS can be downloaded from the HP website to a external media: http://hp.care/2vOuzko

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I tried this already. I shut down my device. Then I pressed power button and volume up(+) button together to go into recovery mode. Then the tablet starts and shows the HP boot logo and gets stuck there. It doesn't go further into recovery. No matter how long I wait it stays stuck

HP Recommended

@Rakib0

Thanks for replying with the results

A hard reboot can resolve many startup issues. Press and hold the power button for more than eight seconds. After the tablet fully shuts down, wait a few seconds, and then press the power button to turn on the tablet. If the tablet does not start, continue with the next step.

If the issue persists then the evidence indicates towards an internal failure with the touchpad. I suggest you to contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for the tablet. 

Hope this information helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

That link isn't working 😕

HP Recommended

Okay the link worked. But due to expiry of my device warranty, HP won't help me. So I guess I'm on my own on this and there's no way to solve it. Thanks for responding anyway

HP Recommended

@Rakib0

You're welcome.

If the link did not proceed further because your tablet was out of warranty, then let me know your country of residence and I will try to find the contact information for HP phone support for you.

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Yes the warranty is expired. My country is Bangladesh. Unfortunately there are no HP support centers here or I would take it there :smileyindifferent:

HP Recommended

Greetings @Rakib0

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.