Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elite x2 1012 g1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have several  HP Elite x2 1012 g1 tablet computers running Window 10 Pro x64 that I can't seem to get the silver HP Active pens to work on. These pens came with the tablets. I've double checked the batteries in the pens (this includes the bluetooth batteries in the cap and the AAA). After I add the pen in bluetooth settings, it doesn't register on-screen. Touch works with my fingers but not with the pen, even though it says it's connected. If I press the button on the cap of the pen one note launches, so there's definitely some communication happening with bluetooth. I've already run the HP updates and Windows updates in hope it would solve my problem, but alas, it's still not working. Any ideas? I've even gone as far was factory resetting one of the tablets and adding the pen at the Windows 10 initial set up screen but I get the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact issue.  Multiple tablets (x2); pen not working; one note appears when button pressed.  Please let me know if anyone has a solution.

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing this problem. Please let me know if there is a fix.

HP Recommended

Hi

I'm french and since I have arrived in Canada my active pen doesn't work anymore, I have exactly the same problem, connexion bluetooth ok but nothing anymore with touch screen, I recently bought a dock for my Elite x2 could it come from that ? All is updated on my computer.

Please let me know if you have found a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue, has a solution became available?

HP Recommended
Ok I found a solution! I have just replaced the battery and it works again. Try this and let us know if all is ok. FYI I didn't need to set up again the pen, just replace the battery.
In my point of view the battery has a low autonomy one or two months depending on how you use the active pen.
Let me know!
HP Recommended

This solution worked! Thay was weird, as we just recieved the tablet from HP.

HP Recommended

Hi - I had the same problem, MS Note opened when I pressed the button on top but the pen would not write on the screen.

I found that the Pen has two sets of batteries in it.

The Stylus is powered by a AAAA battery that you get to by undoing the pen just as you would with a regular pen to change the refill. Watch out for the small spring, which I managed to lose and had to replace with a spring from a regular pen.

Then the button on the top, which is Bluetooth, is powered from two button cell batteries, SR527SW, that you can get to by using a crosshead screwdriver in the cross on the opposite end of the pen top to the button.

Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

HI I haev teh same problem. I have repalced batteries adn bluetooth now works but not teh stylus.

I will try (yet) another battery  god this machine is expensive to run. Just fed up and Noted that no HP staff resopnd to this thread... mind you who woudl work for HP when the products are so poor?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem which I have 'solved' by plugging in an external mouse; with that plugged in, the pen then works.  I can even unplug it and the pen still works.  I hope this is not the solution, and I do not know how long this 'solution' will work, but give it a go and see.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.