Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elitepad 900 HSTNN-C75C
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hello there fellow community. I have this "old" HP Elitepad 900 HSTNN-C75C which I found in my closet hiding for some time. I installed a new operating system (Windows 8.1 Pro - x86)  as it gave errors at first try on the original.

The installation went smooth but ofc nothing was functioning correctly as it was missing all of the drivers and so on. I went to the HP Support Center to download first the

SMSC 9500A USB Ethernet Driver (American, International)   system software Manager Icon2.6.3.2 Rev.A
16 Mar 2014 22.3  

Ethernet driver to get some internet on the device and thereafter the

HP SoftPaq Download Manager (International) 3.5.3.0
10 Jun 2014 19.6 3.5.2.0
25 Apr 2014

to find the rest of available updates for the tablet.

Everything went smooth until I chose to update the BIOS/Firmware

Atmel Touchscreen Firmware Update Utility for HP ElitePad 900 without Stylus Support 20AC0303_20140326
1 Apr 2014 0.74  

It shuts down after installation and stays down. I then turn it on and it starts up just fine, but 4-5 seconds after login it says Shutting Down. That keeps going on no matter how many times I start the tablet.

I therefore tried to boot it up and get into HP PC Hardware DIagnostics UEFI>BIOS/Firmware Management and run the BIOS Update but it also gives an error:

The System BIOS update failed. Unable to get BIOS information from system or image file.

The same goes for the BIOS Rollback.

If I could I would simply skip updating the BIOS/Firmware but I cant get my touchscreen to work unless I update it.. Therefore the hatch.

Do any of you perhaps have further instructions on how to resolve this issue?..

ATM Im not getting much out of the tablet with only 4-5 usable seconds after startup 😞

P.S. it is placed in a docking station

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your time mate. In the end I chose to give up on this. A fix for one thing led to an error in another... Never solved the touch function so the tablet is just a very expensive cutting board atm 🙂 Cheers!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Nobody who has gotten any clue at all in this matter?

HP Recommended

MathiasKanstrup

Can you go to the Hardware Diagnostics again and run a test on the drive?

What does it say?

If it passes, I would simply reinstall the OS again. BTW I dont have an Elitepad, but why the need to disable the stylus? Wont it work with the docking station just the same? I would not install that next time.

Or if you can get SafeMode to work, can you try a restore point prior to the firmware install?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03439317#AbT1

HP Recommended

Hello Photoray002!

Thanks for taking your time replying to me. I did a scan of the drive and it gave no errors. Guess I can cross that off the list.

I have been reinstalling the OS a few times before you suggested doing so, but I thought I would just give it one more try.

As previously it installed without problems and I downloaded the the Ethernet driver to get a working connection. I thereafter downloaded the HP Softpaq tool to get all of the available drivers for my Elitepad.

The only thing I havent installed yet is the Firmware driver which you can see belowFirmware.PNG

I know when I take this one the system will begin to run in a boot loop all over again. Do you have any suggestions to another firmware driver which will enable my touch functionability? ATM no touch is working.

The system feels a bit clunky aswell.

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

I cannot find anything for Windows 8.1 other than that one update.

There is the previous update for Windows 8 that included the pen/stylus ability.

That might be more stable. Here's the link...

HP Executive Tablet Pen Update for ElitePad 900 G1

Be sure to create a restore point to go back to like I describe earlier, if it also causes a problem.

I will say that if this gives you the same crash, there is something else going on with that tablet that I would not know about.

HP Recommended

Installed the firmware as you suggested. It starts up fine but still no touch functionability..

HP Recommended

OK. Only thing I know to do is go for that newest update then and see if it works this time.

Other than that, I am at a loss. Sorry.

HP Recommended

Tried updating to the newest Firmware once again but gave the boot loop once again.. I restored it back to before the update. The weird thing is that the touch works fine in bios but not windows 😞

HP Recommended

I read on another forum about this and a gpu issue where the gpu was going bad, thus messing up the touch screen.

If the touch works in bios, drop the screen resolution down low in Windows.

Does it help any at all?

HP Recommended

Also I found this. I dont think you installed this update yet. It claims Windows 8 installs an update that breaks the touch

function.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0105592

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.