Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to develop on the Slate 21 and have a hard time finding the right ADB driver for it - the generic one that comes does not work. I've tried a couple other solutions but cannot seem to find anything that works. Can someone point me in the right direction? I don't mind if its not officially supported. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi Sirry, could you please confirm what OS you are using.  I assume this is Windows, but want to be sure.

Also, just FYI, if you have access to a Linux box, you can use ADB without additional drivers.  Just put the system in developer mode, connect a USB A to USB A cable and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

COWA

HP employee

HP Recommended

Here are the "unoffical" steps to get driver support in Windows.  I tried in Windows 7 and it worked for me.  Please let me know your results.

1. Download Google USB driver from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top
  2. Once downloaded, unzip the package, there’s a usb_driver directory. Inside there open “android_winusb.inf” with notepad.
  3. Add the 3 lines below to the sections [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]:

;slate21

%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

4. In Device manager, select the Slate 21device and go to driver ->  update driver -> browser my computer for driver software, select the usb_driver directory you just edited.

Hope this helps,

COWA

HP employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help!

I actually got it to work another way I found online, by updating the driver through the device manager, and then selecting

browse my computer for driver software, then let me pick from a list of drivers, then clicking have disk, then pointing to the folder android users usually install the driver from and selecting the composite driver. 

I haven't done much with android since then, but I can vouch that a basic hello world program runs through adb. 

HP Recommended

Not sure if it's available under 4.2, but I think that the USB debugging got a wireless option (it's there on 4.3, just checked with other devices that I have).

COWA - is there a planned Android 4.3 or 4.4 update for Slate 21? 

Long time Android user.
HP Recommended

Hi Hetz,

On your first comment, yes there is wireless in 4.2.  I know a few folks have tried it successfully.  Not as straight forward as hooking up a cable but should be a solution if needed.

On the upgrade plans, I'm sorry but I can't comment on future plans/releases until they are formally announced through the proper channels.  Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I hope you understand.

Cheers,

COWA

HP Recommended
Actually I just got my new Slate 21 and unfortunately, there is no Wifi Debugging option, also it reboots when you enable or disable USB debugging, which is weird...
Long time Android user.
HP Recommended

Wifi debugging is possible, but you do need to connect with a cable first to enable it.

1) Enable developer mode on Slate 21 and turn on USB debugging (yes the unit will reboot)

2) Connect PC/Linux to Slate 21 using a USB A to USB A cable

3) In a terminal type "adb tcpip 5555" (you will see "restarting in TCP mode port: 5555")

4) Now you can use adb over wifi by typing "adb connect <your Slate 21 IP address>"

To re-enable ADB over USB type "adb USB"

HP Recommended
Umm, why HP disabled the standard ADB over Wifi? it had a good security measure in it.
Long time Android user.
HP Recommended

This isn't working for me. 

New ADT (22.3.0-887826) installed on Windows 7 USB A to USB A cable connected to Slate 21 on side port.

Slate 21 shows up in device manager as Portable Device. 

Debug sample project in ADT, no running Android devices listed. 

Downloaded Google USB Driver. 

Made edits to android_winusb.inf. 

Device Manager -> Portable Devices -> Slate 21 -> Update Driver Software -> Browse -> 

Selecting directory with inf file I get "The best driver software for your device is already installed." 

Selecting "Let me pick from a list of device" -> Have Disk -> select inf -> "the folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for you device" 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.