Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slate 17
Android 4.4 - 4.4.4 KitKat
Seems that slate17 is not anymore compatible with the last version of Android ??

Can you please confirm and provide a fix ?

Tx
16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@yahrika

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the android service: google play isn't working,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you install the update from HP or from a 3rd party website?

While you respond to that, I see that your device was shipped with: 4.4.2 version of Android, none of the other versions are tested for your device, however, if the device was update via HP updates, I need to know if you have any specific compatibility issues that I could help you with.

If it's specific to the google play store, you can attempt to reinstall the google play store and check if it works.

1. Open your device's Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps & notifications.
  3. Tap the app you want to uninstall. If you don't see it, first tap See all apps or App info.
  4. Tap Uninstall - (Ignore all error messages)

Then, restart the laptop and it should work fine.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi,
The device was updated with HP software.

Please ,i see that more and more people has the same issue with the slate17 even facebook still nok
HP Recommended

@yahrika

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand your concern and I am trying to help you get through this situation,

However, I can't do much if you don't tell me what were the results of the suggested steps.

Have you attempted the steps? if yes, please get back to me with the details,

If the issue persists, please go ahead and reset the slate using the below steps:

Resetting your tablet restores the original factory settings, removing all stored Google Accounts and erasing all stored data. All locally saved files, apps, and saved networks are deleted. If possible, back up important files, either on the Web or with an external storage device, before resetting the tablet. The Google Accounts themselves, and any data synced to the Web, are not affected by a reset.

You can reset the tablet with the power turned off or on. If the tablet starts normally and you are able to access the settings menu, use the steps in Resetting with the tablet powered on. If the tablet does not start normally, or if you do not remember the lock screen password, use the steps in Resetting when the tablet does not start.

1. Turn off your device and, if a battery powered device, plug in the AC adapter.
  2. To boot into the Recovery menu, press and hold the volume down key and then press the power button. Hold the volume down key until the HP logo is displayed.
  3. Move the arrow up or arrow down key to highlight wipe data/factory reset, and then press the enter key to confirm the selection.
  4. Move the arrow up or arrow down key to highlight Yes — delete all user data, and then press the enter key to confirm the selection.
  5. Move the arrow up or arrow down key to highlight reboot system now, and then press the enter key to confirm the selection.

Click here and check steps in pages 34 -36 for more details.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Thx for your feedback.

I do exactly what you say and same result.

After the reset tablet , everything is ok but as soon as the google play update , the problem reappear again 😞

I definitively know that the problem is link with the recent update of google then imho you need to contact your dev team

to do a test with a slate 17 in debugging mode and try to find a fix for all users Slate 17.

Regards,

Yassin

HP Recommended
Android have stopped support for kit kat and hp are doing nothing to upgrade the previous android last HP product I will ever buy
HP Recommended

@yahrika & @kev8

Thank you for responding,

I understand your concern!

Since the image on the HP tablet has also been updated to 4.4.4,

there's no alternate options of reverting to 4.4.2, hence your concern has been escalated to the R&D team.

I'm awaiting their response as the solution needs to be validated by them before I could have it sent out,

To ensure I'm providing a complete fix, I may have to request you to wait for a TAT of 72hrs while I reach out to them.

And I shall keep you updated about the same.

In the meantime, please you could attempt to download the image from HP website to revert to 4.4.2:

Google Android KitKat Restore Image for HP Slate 17 - Europe, Middle East, Africa, Brazil, Argentina...

Google Android KitKat Restore Image for HP Slate 17 - North America

Installation of the update requires the following:
- micro-SD card 
- USB Keyboard
- micro-SD card adapter 

1. Download update.zip and copy the file to the root directory of an empty micro-SD card that is using FAT 32 format.
2. Make sure that the Slate tablet power cord is connected to the system and the system is charging.
3. Power off the device.
4. Place the Slate tablet on flat surface with display panel side down.
5. Lift the panel towards the bottom of the Slate to expose USB/HDMI/SD card ports.
6. Connect the USB keyboard to the system.
7. Insert the micro-SD card with adapter in the SD Card reader located above the HDMI port.
8. Position the Slate with display panel facing towards you.
9. Power off the device.

10. Press and hold the Down arrow key on keyboard. While continuing to hold the Down Arrow key, press and hold the power button on the Slate for 3 to 5 seconds, then release the Power button. Continue to hold the Down Arrow key until three options are displayed (Android, Recovery Console, MokManager) on screen. Release the Down Arrow key after the options are displayed.

11. Using the keyboard arrow keys, select the "Recover Console" option and press enter.
12. After the Recovery Console is displayed, select "apply update from SD card" with the arrows keys and press enter to confirm.
13. Highlight the software recovery file update.zip, then press Enter.

NOTE: Wait until the entire recovery process finishes. The device might seem unresponsive at times (multiple reboots and black screens) when it is performing the update.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you,  

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are now multiple threads on the same issue, and some very unhappy customers. The fix you describe does not work. There is a basic conflict between HP version 4.4.4 and the latest release of Google Play and Play services. I have personally tried all solution proposed so far and none work. HP must either issue a new release to make these tablets workable again or identify the issue with Google as to what "permission" is being disrupted.

Guy

HP Recommended

@GuyUK1

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

I understand your concern and suggestion, that said, as mentioned before this case has been escalated to the R&D Team,

We should shortly get back to you with an apt solution to resolve this issue.

"I'm awaiting their response as the solution needs to be validated by them before I could have it sent out,

To ensure I'm providing a complete fix, I may have to request you to wait for a TAT of 72hrs while I reach out to them.

And I shall keep you updated about the same."

Meanwhile, please attempt the other steps, if you haven't done them already.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The problem is that Google/android agave stopped support for KitKat does not matter if it's 4.2 or 4.4.4 the same problem exists and until HP roll out an update to a newer android version our expensive tablets are paperweights HP needs to address the issue and please stop telling people to restore their tablets it's nothing at all to do with that it is too do with Google android stopping support on Oct 17 for KitKat rendering all android products on kit kat as paperweights. HP/Android representitives need to roll out upgrade to next android platform. And stop fobbing people off. Surely a big corporation such as HP can give the roll out we need to make our expensive tablets work again !
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.