Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am not sure offhand what these errors are, I will try to do a fresh install in the next day or two to try to reproduce this. 

As soon as you rebooted after the Ubuntu installation, did you let it install the automatic updates?  I think I did that before attempting these steps. It may have installed a newer version of the 3.16 kernel.  I wiped my disk recently so I can't check mine.  You might try the updates if you haven't done it yet and then repeat the linux-headers-generic package and driver installs.

HP Recommended
I was unable to install ubuntu. This is just from running my live usb. And i have not set up any persistance.

Also I got the wifi driver installed by following your steps, but my tablet froze when it was on the install process, so my usb got corrupted. I re downloaded ubuntu mate 14.10 and the layest version of fedlet i think version 10. And I tried again and got the above errors.

So if it worked before, would it not work again? Its the exact same iso and efi directory (re downloaded both of them of course)
HP Recommended

I have never attempted to install the drivers to the live USB image so I cannot vouch for that process.  I have only installed them after installing Ubuntu 14.10 32-bit to the eMMC drive and letting the automatic updates run first.

HP Recommended
Oh. So i am basicly out of luck then? Im geussing you used your usb wifi dongle eh?

I am unable to install it as i only have a bluetooth dongle so i can not get wifi until i install the drivers to the live usb.
Becaise i am able to tether to my phone via bluetooth but i cannot use that connection during the install.
HP Recommended

Networking is not required to do the installation so you might have better luck installing the drivers after Ubuntu is installed. UPDATE: A working network connection does appear to be required during installation to avoid the 'grub-efi package' failed to install into /target/ error mentioned here.

HP Recommended
Odd because everytime i tried installing it it failed at installing grub-efi And what do you mean networking isnt required? Did you not say in the guide you chose download updates when knstalling? That tells me you do need internet, unless you can jnstall it without internet sonehow.
HP Recommended

Yes, I chose to install the updates but it is optional, the updates can be installed after the installation.  I also got an error installing grub at the end of the installation when I had networking working so it is not related to networking. I will attempt another installation in the next day or two to see if I get that error again. UPDATE: A working network connection does appear to be required during installation to avoid the 'grub-efi package' failed to install into /target/ error mentioned here.

HP Recommended
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Sorry if im being a bother
HP Recommended

No problem, I did some test installations today and I was able to reproduce the 'grub-efi package' failed to install into /target/ error when there was no internet connection. I was wrong about it not being related, it is a known issue

I had previously gotten the grub error when I thought I had a network connection but it turns out my new EDIMAX USB Wifi adapter was dropping its connection during the installation and causing the error.  When I use a reliable USB network adapter, the installation completes without the grub error.  I will update my instructions to include this issue.

HP Recommended
Ok thats good that you were able to recreate the error in question.

Yet how am i to install linux, do i need to go buy a usb wifi adaptor?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.