Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2 n-100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi I have been given an hp pavilion x2 convertible laptop/tablet to try an fix.

The back history with it is while trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 the owner tried to format and delete all partions, the Windows install ended with an error about being unable to change boot order. Upon restarting the laptop will not power on, all that happens is the power light comes on but the screen stays blank and there's no beeps or sounds.

I have tried a bios recovery usb stick which has an led that lights up the laptops light will turn off and back on but no matter what combination of Windows key and b/v I try including trying with the Windows key on the side of the tablet itself seems to load the recovery.

I have found that by holding the power key until it powers off then keeping it held it will start and the screen will come on with a error

The CMOS checksum is invalid. 
The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. 
Please check your BIOS Setup options to see if they changed. 
CMOS Reset (502) 
ENTER - Reboot the system

But after restart it's back to the blank screen. But the fact I can get to that screen leads me to believe it's something that fixable with software.

I have tried various usb sticks and all versions of bios from the downloads page, I've also tried moving the files to the root of the usb with no joy. I would appreciate any other ideas as I'm a bit out of touch with the recent technology like uefi and all these built in storage stuff.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Matt-edwards

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you have a CMOS Reset error 502 during boot and the device no longer gets to the desktop screen,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to recover the bios using a flash drive, as mentioned on the HP Article?

If not, here's what you need to do (exactly as mentioned to resolve the issue)

If the BIOS on your notebook PC becomes corrupted, the computer might show one or more of the following symptoms:

• The computer displays the error message BIOS APPLICATION ERROR 501.

• The computer stops at a black or blank screen and does not enter any of the start options, such as the BIOS Setup Utility, Hardware Diagnostic Tools, or System Recovery.

• The computer does not start the operating system and the Caps Lock or Num Lock light blinks twice, or the computer emits beep codes.

• The computer turns on, for example the fan might spin, but there is no video on the internal display or external monitor, and the computer does not start the operating system.

If the computer shows any of these symptoms and it does not start the operating system, recover the BIOS.

Step 1: Recover the BIOS using a key press combination

Many HP notebook computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

NOTE:

If you know the hard disk partition is deleted or inaccessible, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you've already done the above steps and yet the issue persists, please Contact HP to have the device either repaired or it's parts replaced to resolve the issue:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi I have tried to do a bios restore. I can get a light flashing on my usb stick but the restore screen never loads.

I have managed to get to the menu that says

F1 for system information
F2 for system diagnostic

And so fourth and f10 does take me to the bios settings so I assume the bios is Ok, but when I turn the laptop on it still just sits at a black screen.

Choosing system diagnostics results in a black screen also.

Would deleting the wrong partition from the internal storage result in a black screen as there is nothinng to boot the hp loading screen from?
HP Recommended

@Matt-edwards

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If you are able to boot to the BIOS, it would mean that the computer is okay, however, you need an OS reinstallation.

Also, HP doesn't recommend or support deleting partitions, when you use an HP Recovery Media, it would automatically delete all partitions if need be and then re-create it, then reinstall the OEM version of windows (factory defaults) : Click here for instructions.

If you don't have a recovery media: Click here to obtain one.

If issue persists, as advised before, please Contact HP to repair your device.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.