Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(I hope this is the correct sub to post to.  Don't know if this device is considered a tablet or a laptop.  This is HP's competition to MS's Slate with a detachable keyboard)

Hi all,

Is anyone else having this problem?  After I detach/reattach my keyboard, it has been taking longer and longer for the KB to work.

Right now, the touch pad is working (built into the removable KB), but KB is not.  If memory serves, when I powered up the most recent time after attching KB, the KB's backlights lit up for a sec, then went dark.

When the KB is working, it doesn't matter what you do...shut down/reboot/standby/hibernate...the KB works every time I turn it on.

When I remove KB...doesn't matter when I do it...while it is running, while it is shutdown, in standby, or hibernating...when I reconnect, the KB does not work right away...but the TP does.  The KB usually starts working after some time...but it seems like each time, it takes longer for the KB to start working.

I have tried just about everything I can think of to get KB working again...shut down/reboot/with & without KB attached...the KB will only start working after some time.

Considering that the TP works...& the KB usually starts working at some point...I thought (was hoping) this was a software/driver issue...maybe one of MS's updated jacked things up.  But I just recently did a complete system backup (in case updates screwed things up, I could revert back), then updated the thing to the most recent update.  I don't have it set up to auto update...and I haven't updated for 6-8 months because...procrastination...and I have kept the KB connected the whole time because of this issue.  On Dec 18th, I successfully did a Feature Update to Win 10, v1809... and 3 Quality Updates.  I'm not sure what month of Cumulative Update occured on the 18th, because right now it is showing that there is a 2018-12 Cumulative Update waiting to be downloaded.

Now I'm worried this is a hardware issue...in other words, the KB is dying...considering it was yesterday afternoon when I removed the KB to clean/blow out w/compressed air...and it still hasn't started working...maybe it won't work ever again.  Can new KB be purchased?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

CTB

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin
Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Echo_Lake is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.