Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Gotta agree, my toshiba encore 2 (that I replaced my s7 with) doesn't have the same problems and other than memory differences it's the same tablet as the HP.

@muttly wrote:

yip had the same thing happen in starbucks myself, but with one added advantage I also had along my tosh encore mini that runs the same wifi chipset - in fact id lay money bar a couple of things such as the extra 16gb of memory on the stream most of the components are the same...

The min tosh connected fine. so opened device manager on both machines, in the network adaptor part of both they had the realtech adaptor showing identically in both but the stream 7 had a abundant of wan mini pors showin so this may be the problem.

Both machines are carrying w8.1 with bing too..

bugs me too. with luch its a case of following the road on both machines eliminating the diferences on the stream...

will keep all informed.

HP Recommended
Doesn't the Encore tablet have that crappy 1024x600 screen?
HP Recommended

Ricky,

I was just checking the specs on the Toshiba Encore 2 8" tablet.  They look just like the HP Stream 8.  The reason I purchased the Stream 8 was because it has a sim card slot and can be used on T-mobile or AT&T.  Eventhough the Toshiba doesn't have a sim card slot, I may go ahead and get one as the Stream 8 just wasn't reliable. 

Plus it looks like the Encore 2 is not as long and narrow as the HP Stream 8? 

I still haven't heard from Microsoft on my refund/return.  The received it last week but nothing has happened yet: no replacement shipped, no refund, nothing.  I've called at least six times and they always say "it's being handled by the escalation department".  From what I've experienced the "escalation department" is the "slow department".

Eric

HP Recommended

Tosh encore 2 is a fair bit of kit for the dollar and so is the mini, but the 8 has a problem with the on off button, - breaks easy as the internal part of the switch is only attatched with silliest bit of plastic - cured that - broak it open and stuffed a slice of card in it to make it a sure touch.

The mini has the same wifi chipset and altered all the settings of the stream to match - took it to starbucks - still no good, have asneaky feeling its all to do with the HP overlay stuff that comes with windows now ive gone through it all.

Back to the steam shame the wifi is just not up to it - tried everything as it's technically perfect for the pocket - all the 8" ers are just that little to big for it.. even the mini is to a degree with its large bezle edge.

HP should be sending out a fix but don't think they give a **bleep** - got our money so....

Just invested in a Linx 7 for £79,00 should be here after chrimbo... the 10" is friggin awesome for the dollar... even got adobe photoshop and illustrator on it, a tad slow but all there and working..

Out of 6 tablets in the house the only one that fails on the starbucks wifi test is the stram 7.

Giving it one more go but after the christmas day Its going back to the place it was bought 2 weeks ago as not fit for purpose - here in the UK our consumer laws are pretty good on that...

HP watch out more returns coming....

All have a good one...

HP Recommended

The 7" encore does (have the crap screen), the 8" has the same 1280x800 sceen as the mini 8.

@teeth_03 wrote:
Doesn't the Encore tablet have that crappy 1024x600 screen?

HP Recommended

The MS store online & retail stopped selling the 64GB version after thanksgiving, but you can still get it thru their officail MS on ebay store for $149. It's supposed to have the same warranty & stuff as if you bought it in store, just that it's inventory clearance. I didn't compare it to the S8, not sure if it's shorter. This is the one I got because it has 64GB of flash & 2GB of ram. That extra 1GB HUGE difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Toshiba-Encore-2-WT8-B264M-8-64GB-Signature-Edition-Tablet-/281539170652...

@Eric_8 wrote:

Ricky,

I was just checking the specs on the Toshiba Encore 2 8" tablet.  They look just like the HP Stream 8.  The reason I purchased the Stream 8 was because it has a sim card slot and can be used on T-mobile or AT&T.  Eventhough the Toshiba doesn't have a sim card slot, I may go ahead and get one as the Stream 8 just wasn't reliable. 

Plus it looks like the Encore 2 is not as long and narrow as the HP Stream 8? 

I still haven't heard from Microsoft on my refund/return.  The received it last week but nothing has happened yet: no replacement shipped, no refund, nothing.  I've called at least six times and they always say "it's being handled by the escalation department".  From what I've experienced the "escalation department" is the "slow department".

Eric

HP Recommended

Nice! Looks like I will be ordering that one and returning my Stream 7 to Office Depot.

2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, and another inch to the screen is completely worth the extra $50.

It still baffles me that a $150 tablet is just as powerful as a $500 phone, if not more so.

HP Recommended

Ricky,

Thanks for the ebay link.  I just purchased one of the Toshiba Encore 2 with 2Gb/64Gb for $149.  What a deal!  Thanks.

Eric

HP Recommended
Search stream 7 drivers , download "hp support assistant" , run this Program , choose "network" only when wifi drops , it will solve all troubles .
Bye
HP Recommended

I too am disappointed with the wireless. I already posted in another thread, but this one appears to have more acticity.

My Stream 7 (5701) cannot see my primary wireless network. I have a WD Mynet 750 running OpenWRT. The router is dual band, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks broadcast different SSIDs.

The tablet refuses to see the 2.4GHz network. I have tried using several different channels (1, 6 and 11). All the other household devices, 2 rokus, tablets, smartphones, fire TV sticks and laptops see the 2.4GHz network easily. I have updated the BIOS and used the newest drivers to no avail.

The tablet does see other networks, though not nearly as many as other devices. My temporary solution is to connect via my guest network which uses a homebrew router running OpenWRT on a raspberry Pi. However, even that connection is tenuous. Connection speed/throughput is pathetic there are no dropouts but cannot even eke out 1Mbps.

Yesterday I tired to use the Miracast function / wireless screen function an that fails fantastically, not sure if it is related. The wireless hardware does not perform as well as that in my $20 phone.

Unless I can resolve the issue, the unit will be returned.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.