Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have to say, I am really disappointed in HP, it's been a month (in 2 days) & 7 pages of posts, since I started the thread and after all the troubleshooting from everyone the problem still exists. It's sad that quite a few of the original S7/S8 buyers have gone to another product, I was at the MS store the other day and the assistant admitted she's personally seen a lot of returns on the s7, joking that "it makes a great picture frame though."  If you haven't already returned your S7, and you're still living with the wifi drops, you are a saint. 

HP Recommended

The stupid thing is that my Stream 7 is fine on every netwrok I've tested except mine... despite no other devices having trouble with the wifi at my home.

HP Recommended

My WiFi/MiraCast and tablet havee been solid for the last 2 weeks.

Some thoughts. Works better with BT and WiFi enabled.

The TKIP/AES change in my router was fine, but the note 3 coming into range dropped the router hard. That is the router...so put that back to dual and all good.

Have been using out and about and have seem no issues. So, I'll keep mine.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

is difficult download "hp support assistant" ???

HP Recommended

mine while not the fastest have a steady download rate of 4-5 MB per second, Turn on bluetooth though that drops big time,  but most of my laptops with a bluetooth/wifi combined card dose the same.  My solution when i want to use bluetooth and wifi is use a cheap bluetooth dongle.  If i want to transfer big files i uses a usb lan dongle.

HP Recommended

ok. thanks.

@luxotto wrote:

is difficult download "hp support assistant" ???

HP Recommended

Using an external usb wifi dongle, was my solution too but in the end i returned the s7. 

@leo_kendall wrote:

mine while not the fastest have a steady download rate of 4-5 MB per second, Turn on bluetooth though that drops big time,  but most of my laptops with a bluetooth/wifi combined card dose the same.  My solution when i want to use bluetooth and wifi is use a cheap bluetooth dongle.  If i want to transfer big files i uses a usb lan dongle.

HP Recommended

Folks,

I returned my HP Stream 8 and purchased a Toshiba Encore 2 from the microsoft ebay store.  The Encore 2 has 2gb ram/64gb emmc and full windows 8.1.  The only thing it doesn't have that the Stream 8 had is cellular data.  I've noticed the Encore 2 does fine (where the HP Stream didn't) on wifi.  It gets flaky sometimes if I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected.  Overall I'm happy with the Encore 2.  Plus it was only $149. 

Eric

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
I think the issue is 'incorrect signal strength indication'

The wireless adapter in the S7 is literally the cheapest thing HP probably could have used in this thing. So I know from the get-go that its not going to have the best connection.

With that in mind, when I use it in my bedroom (2 rooms away from the router), it shows 5 bars. Great! I don't really get drops, but the internal transfer speed to my private server is fairly slow. I did however notice that if I'm in the living room where the router is, it transfers a lot faster.

My conclusion: Its possible that Windows is reporting that you have good signal when you really don't. So you think its a solid 3-5 bar connection when it might only be 1-2. I have seen this happen personally with somone who had a desktop PC with a newly installed wireless adapter, but there was a thick brick wall with a fireplace between it and the router. Windows showed 4 bars, I thought I was home free, but even though the wireless indicator never changed, websites kept randomly not loading.

The moral of this post? The wireless indicator in Windows, take what it is showing you with a grain of salt. Move to eyesight of the router to test it first.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.