Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Sectre X2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PLEASE HELP!

I really am giving HP and Win 10 a big chance here ( I bougth the Spectre x2 back in December and having issues since week 2!!!!!!!!!)

After several system restore from internal image and continuous issues, I had the PC sent in for a MB replacement, received it back and after a Win 10 update, everything was screwed up again (no icons in the start menu and so far...)

I then wanted to reinstall the OS from USB: Received the System recovery pack with USB, and after it finished tranferring files, it runs for a while and then I get an error stating that the recovery attemp failed, and the details are:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Component: Windows 10 Preinstall Diagnostic Tools - TDC

Timing: FactoryUpdate

Error: Incorrect brand name

Next Step: Please check Notebook model or feature byte

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea on what it might be?

THANKS!!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I remember when I got my HP Stream 7 recovery media from HP, the person on the end of the phone asked for all of my tablets details - model no, serial no, the chap even explained it had to be in the same language as the original language or it may not work. Did you get a similar 'interrogation' and provide accurate answers? It sounds like you might have recovery media for the wrong device so a call to your local HP office (with details of the recovery media to hand) should set you in the right direction to getting this corrected.

HP Recommended

@Shunfeng

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

I understand your system recovery isn't going through due to the error-"Incorrect brand name",

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart? 

Are you using the recovery media or the partition?

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (win8)

Please reply with the details for further assistance. 

Eager to help!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Getting the same error, I downloaded the HP Cloud Recovery onto a USB.  Got all the way thru the process then got 

"hp cloud recovery incorrect brand name expected brand name from FB"

Product # X6G27AA#ABA 

Win 10

Help!

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.