Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Opps, did not notice the press F11 step.  Have not tried that.  Will try that first.

HP Recommended

If the F11 system recovery option does not work, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using this guide.

HP Recommended

1 - Can't use F11 because device doesn't have keyboard.  When it ask for something it gives a very basic numeric keypad

2 - recovery software ask for a recovery key which I got from Microsoft, but with numeric keypad I cannot enter because recovery key has alphanumerics, in addition recovery software seems to be expecting a different format than the one microsoft sent

3 - tried to recover from usb (both 32 and 64 bit options), could not because, again, no keyboard.

did not see guide you alluded to

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I meant the guide at the start of this thread.

HP Recommended

I kinda of thought that might be the case.  I noted that it says I need to first make a recovery USB of your existing Windows 8.1 with Bing installation.   Not sure what a Bing installation is.  I did not make any recovery USB when I updated from 8.1 to 10.  I simply did the update over the network and had it running for over 6 months so any recovery folder was long gone.  I have a recovery stick form my 8.1 desktop that may work but again don't know what the "Bing Installation" is or even if it is necessary.

Can you explain?

HP Recommended

If you already have Windows 10 running and it is activated, you can skip the step about creating the Windows 8.1 with Bing recovery media.  Windows 8.1 with Bing is what you had on your tablet before you upgraded to Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Thanks, going to try again as soon as I locate a usb connected keyboard.  All I seem to have around here are wireless.  I'll keep you posted and thanks for the continue support.

HP Recommended

OK, success.  Did not have to rebuild the OS, was able to repair and recover.  Thanks again for your help

HP Recommended
Hi.
I have the same problem on my HP Stream 7 Tablet version 5.6.0.0 but when i look on the system information on startup (volume down+power), i check on system there's a blank on the "Operating System Image". That means the os was erase/format/no-data...

What to i do.
HP Recommended

One might also note, if you have never tried to boot from a USB drive connected to a tablet.

Plug in the USB drive, USB keyboard, and USB mouse into the USB hub.

Press the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power button for about 4 seconds. Release both buttons until the Startup Menu displays.

My tablet would not reset to the original file-free condition and became a brick. Following the volume and power button info noted in a previous reply, I was able to boot for troubleshooting/reinstalling.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.