Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP External USB DVD RW Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

Just got a new laptop (HP Spectre x360 Convertible) and everything is going great so far except for this.... It seems like the external dvd drive is reading the test dvd I put in (The Hobbit), and the name of the E: drive becomes the title of the movie as well as external dvd drive. There's one major file folder called VIDEO_TS and within that file there are many other files- .BUP, .IFO, .VOB. First off I don't know if that's normal as I've never had problems playing DVDs on laptops that have internal DVD drives, and second, when I go to play it in Windows Media Player, the E: drive option there says it's an empty disc. Do I need to download any other software, like CyberLink PowerDVD or should I return the DVD drive? Thank you.

Sincerely,

linguist_gwen

P.S. If this is not posted in the proper area, please let me know- I've never used this site before and am unfamiliar with it. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@linguist_gwen

Your machine does not have ODD (CD/DVD drive) therefore NO CyberLink software installed (save you $$) CyberKink pre-installed is not free, HP has to pay other and passes the cost to customers.

But you can try:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75501-76000/sp75514.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
I do understand that there is no CD/DVD drive installed; I was asking if I needed to download the CyberLink Power DVD software to be able to play the movie I had placed into the external USB DVD RW drive as it wasn’t playing in Windows Media Player.

I tried downloading it last night (I had already purchased it last week but wasn’t sure if I should return it because Windows Media Player was still installed) and the DVD played perfectly, so my issue is resolved.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.